We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Weeze Airport to Essen (NRW vs Ticket E?)

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
From Weeze Airport to Essen (NRW vs Ticket E?)

Hi, I'm travelling from Weeze Airport to Essen.

I know there is a direct Shuttle but I'd have to wait 3+hours to get it (as I arrive at 19.00 and the next shuttle is at 22.30 unfortunately)

So my options are bus+train. We are 2 people

My options would be:

1. Bahn.de: SchönerTagTicket NRW for 5 persons EUR 39,50. Question, does this include the bus from Weeze Airport to Weeze (city)? Apparently the price is 2,5€ for this bus but I'm not sure if with this ticket it is included

2. Vrr.de According to VRR.de and its journey planner, I could take the same connections using a Ticket E from VRR (15,70 X 2 = 31,40€). Is the exact same as getting the NRW ticket? (considering I only want to travel to Essen Hauptbahnhof?) again, is the airport bus included?

Also, in both cases I understand I should have to buy the tickets online as it would be impossible to do so in the Airport?

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 17 October 2013, 11:14
4 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Weeze Airport to Essen (NRW vs Ticket E?)

Both tickets cover the buses from the airport to Weeze or Kevelaer train station. And also the trams and buses in Essen.

SchönerTagTicket NRW 5 Personen is a mini group day ticket. As this trip is inside the VRR local public transport association a VRR mini group day ticket wold be sufficient (EUR 38,00) if one wants a day ticket. This day ticket - not important in your case - has unlike the SchönerTagTicket NRW no past 9am on weekdays restriction.

But 2 VRR single tickets (EUR 15,70 pp) are indeed sufficient if you don't plan further rides on this day beyond the trip to your hotel.

SchönerTagTicket can be bought online through DB.

bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany-regiona…

VRR mini group day ticket (GruppenTicket) can be bought online through the VRR shop. Is however only in German.

https://shop.tsvr.de/

You can buy the VRR tickets from the bus drivers at the airport. Probably also the SchönerTagTicket NRW.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Weeze Airport to Essen (NRW vs Ticket E?)

Thanks a lot! Does that mean I can't buy single tickets online? Should I then buy VRR E tickets from the driver? If that doesn't work (ie if the driver doesn't sell them) what would be my alternative?

Thanks again

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Weeze Airport to Essen (NRW vs Ticket E?)

If the driver wont sell them (unlikely) you can buy them from the machine at Weeze station.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Weeze Airport to Essen (NRW vs Ticket E?)

> Does that mean I can't buy single tickets online?

These are only available as "HandyTicket" (mobile phone ticket). But to register there makes not much sense just for buying a few tickets.

https:/…

> Should I then buy VRR E tickets from the driver? If that doesn't work (ie if the driver doesn't sell them) what would be my alternative?

VRR writes on their homepage that you can buy single and day tickets from the bus drivers.

http://www.vrr.de/de/tickets/kaufen/

Reply to: From Weeze Airport to Essen (NRW vs Ticket E?)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted