We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandalay Muri Heights, Rarotonga ... room for improvement

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Mandalay Muri Heights, Rarotonga ... room for improvement

Whilst no denying that the house and location are both beautiful, more time and effort needs to be put into keeping the place clean and the facilities up and running.

Apon check in we found filth in some pretty obvious places that a quick pre-arrival check by the property manager would have discovered

Air conditioning unit wasnt working and when the property manager came to the house he told us the repair men would come some time in the afternoon and to leave the place unlocked. We were not prepared to leave the place unlocked so were tied to the place most of the day waiting for the repairers to come and complete the repair. This cost us over half a day of our holiday and we felt the prop manager should have stayed or made better arrangements with his repairers.

The BBQ was so filthy it caught fire underneath the hot-plates the first time we used it, the washing machine was so filthy and gunked up that we chose to wash our clothes elsewhere, the dish-washer advertised didnt even work (was filthy inside too), the pool had problems with the filtration system, the downstairs shower is so badly designed that the entire bathroom floods everytime you have a shower and is dangerous as the water is pooled deeply around the entrance door., There are no locks on the doors leading outside on the lower deck so there is no security in the downstairs rooms and even though in advertising it says the place is serviced 3 times a week, the 7 days we were there it was not serviced at all.

To top this all off, we asked if we could leave at 2pm on our departure day and was told it OK. The property manager jokingly said "leave some money for the cleaner" which we thought was odd. Apon check out he then demanded another $50 from us.

All in all I could not recommend this place for the money. We paid $NZ2800 for 7 nights of "luxury" accommodation and in reality what we got was 6 stuffy nights of no air-conditioning(as it broke again after only one night after the repair), 2 scary BBQ fires, dirty bathrooms with major flooding issues, little or no security, un-hygenic pool, our privacy invaded and total unprofessionalism from the property manager apon our departure.

I have written to him out-lining our concerns with the way this property is cared for so hopefully things will improve as the house really is lovely and the location is pretty cool too.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,643 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mandalay Muri Heights, Rarotonga ... room for improvement

Hi bluegum,

After reading Lulu's post tonight, I remain more than skeptical about his (Post No. 9's) intent. I resist from being troubled by your unpleasant remarks and bullying tactics LuluTagalong.

Cheers bluegum - may you continue to review places and properties from a professional and visitor perspective. Your honesty and sincereity shines through. There are many many places to stay on Rarotonga, with congenial hosts as you have identified.

Further, I'm most pleased to learn that your future visits to Raro will be enjoyable. Whitesands has a well deserved following among its regular and newer clientele. There is much about stepping onto the beachfront in Titikaveka that is both magical and remarkable. All credit to great hosts and managers in the Cook Islands who treat their guests well and take on board constructive criticism where it's due.

Kia Kaha. PS - I love Blenheim as a destination!!

12. Re: Mandalay Muri Heights, Rarotonga ... room for improvement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Muri