We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

We are planning to spend a night in Leon and then head to the beach for a couple days of surfing and wondered about guest house rentals on beach in the surfing area.We have a rental car but prefer to be on the beach for easy access to the waves.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

12 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

I stayed in Oasis which had friendly owners but clumsy service in their restaurant. Affordable double room right on the beach for about US$25. El Barco de Oro also seemed like a nice place, with rooms as well as tree hut type of accommodation, a bit further (200 meter walk) from the sea. But we didn't stay there because the French owner (a lady) had been quite rude and unhelpful in her emails before we tried to book there.

However, I didn't see any surfers. It may have been the waves at that time... the few waves that were there were just coming up strongly *right* before the beach and then did this churning thing and threw you upside down (I scraped my back on the sand being churned and thrown about by a wave). No surfing waves there, at the time (January 2011). But perhaps further down the beach at another part... so try to find info in travel blogs about the best places for surfing.

Good luck and have fun!

Cecilia

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

Thanks for the suggestions.

We know that the wave action can be iffy but generally is better in rainy season.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

Hi, we own one of the beach houses for rent in Las Penitas so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

There are several great options. I'll start with just places to stay that are B&B/hostel/hotel:

Oasis and Playa Roca are a little more downscale, but they have really nice views. We hear a lot of good things about a B&B called Sol Y Mar.

We know the owners of Lazy Turtle, and they are a very nice couple from Canada who re-did what used to be Hotel Samaki. Really good Mexican food and drinks. The rooms are clean and simple, and the whole place has a nice, relaxed vibe. No A/C. It's across the street from the estuary (really, the entry to the estuary, a giant tidal pool).

Quetzal Playa has nice spaces and my husband has stayed there when we were buying our house and liked it OK. It has some mixed reviews related to the service.

We also really like Barca de Oro, it was the original. Lots of hammocks, right at the estuary. Haven't stayed at Casa Patricia but the owner there is really nice as well.

As far as houses, you can look ours up here on tripadvisor (we are the only one listed), or there are a few others on VRBO--all the ones listed there (save for a random place that is not actually LP) are nice and we would recommend all of them. The listings on airbnb.com are also nice places.

If you just have a few people, then you don't really need a house. But the beach houses on LP are the nicest accommodations by far. Most of the B&Bs are better appointed for the backpacker traveler. The other benefit is that most of the homes have caretakers who can do your laundry and cooking for an additional (small) fee.

The surfing is more for beginners. We have a lowtide surf break right outside our house and there are usually a couple people out a couple times a day.

The best surf school is Coco Surf School which you can find at cocosurfschool.com. The owner is nice and speaks English.

Feel free to PM me for any more info. What we love about the area is that it is so relaxed, but yet 15 min from Leon.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

One more thing: Most of the beach houses have a minimum 3-night stay.

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

Thank you for all your helpful information - sounds great and we will check the various B&Bs and houses for rent - good to know about the 3 night minimum for guest houses near Las Penitas.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

you can go a little further (5 minute boat) to Surfing Turtle Lodge is a beachfront, off-the-grid hostel situated along a secluded beach on Los Brasiles Island, Poneloya.

http://www.surfingturtlelodge.com/

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

Thanks all the suggestions have been very helpful - how are the roads going north or do you have to take the boat?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

I'm not sure where you mean you would take a boat from but definitely you would take the road to Las Penitas. It's an easy 90 minutes from Managua, nice (basically new) roads all the way.

(Unless you just mean going to Surfing Turtle, in which case you do take a small boat.)

Edited: 30 August 2013, 03:52
Swanville, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

Barco de Oro has the best reasonably-priced food we found at Las Penitas, and friendly service. Location is on the estuary, so not at the beachfront, but is a pleasant location, andonly a block or two from open beach.

Leon, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon

I'll be in Leon towards the end of September would love to check your place out

Joseph D'Amico

Reply to: Guest house options surf beaches near Leon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Las Penitas