We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

Hawkesbury, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

I have read somewhere on the forum that there was hiking from BJ resort. Also read somthing about hiking arranged for the singles week in January. We will be there in February. Question... Are hikes from the resort organizes or are you on your own? Also saw something about weekly activities, are these activities also available off season from singles week?

Barrie, ON
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

When we went we did a hike up mountain , was offered 3 times a week. You also go through a farm. If you talk with the activity staff you might be able to arrange a private walk up the mountain, and we had a little extra time spent at the farm. It is a great view from the top.

Hawkesbury, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

Thanks greatly appreciated. Looking forward to the holidays!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

Apart from the hike up the hill, you can also just walk out the front door of your resort on your own and walk in either direction and you will have a nice walk in the countryside.

I always make it a point to walk facing the traffic and when a car approaches I step off the asphalt and walk on the shoulder. Cuban drivers will often honk as a courtesy so that you know that they are approaching.

If you walk along the beach to the security guy going east of the resort, you can follow a path along the sea. its a nice walk past a Cuban campground, some rock faces and some great views of the sea.

Here are some photos I took from while walking in that direction of some of the scenery in the area along the sea:

…webshots.com/photo/2838955910107181551WDkMyY

…webshots.com/photo/2324862890107181551NVvwzy

…webshots.com/photo/2788370930107181551gmmISE

Edited: 11 January 2012, 18:04
Napanee Ontario
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

When we went a couple of years ago we took our bikes with us, as we were riding past the farm, the farmer waved us in, put our bikes under a covered porch and gave us a private tour up the hill. When we came down they also had cut up fruit for us. It was very generous of them.

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

sssnakes_alive, I get all turned around when I'm there... to go the direction you mentioned, if you're standing at the beach bar facing the water, you would go to your right along that rocky bit of beach past the closest security guard house? Or, do you go left, along the beach past the other resort? The only campground I'm aware of is in that direction, so when I try this walk out when I'm there later this month, I want to make sure I'm going the right way. Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

That's correct, as you stand and face the water turn to your right and walk past the security guard towards the rocky shore. You can either walk along the road or walk along on the grass. There is a campsite that you will walk past. A bit further you will see the cliffs in the photo. horses and cows here and there.

It was a beautiful scene watching a calf actually feeding from its mother. Such a natural thing yet it seemed like such a rare sight to me.

i have to say that any direction you walk around Jibacao is nice.

If you exit Breezes by the front gate and turn to your right folow the road past the Villas Jibacoa and you will walk along the exterior of three or four Cuban resorts. Some are rather plain but the last one looks quite pleasant.

Past the cuban campgrounds there is a police station and beer stand.

I usually walk up to the highway, about three or four kilometers and continue along the highway to a little rest stop for tourist buses and have a beer or two and then walk back.

There are occasionally one or two annoying beggars just outside of the resort that try to hit you up for whatever you've got, ignore them and walk on. Don't feel bad about it. They do not live in the area and the locals aren't exactly fond of them.

East Coast
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

Actually there are a number of Cuban campgrounds to the east. The road that the Breezes in on keeps going for a number of kilometers and eventually ends at the last campground.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

In the summer that whole area is alive. All the campismos are filled. I went last September (2010) and the area, west of the police station, was filled with kiosks selling food, beer and crowds of families everywhere, Music blasting from every corner. An interesting place to sit, have a beer (of course!)

and people watch.

To me, this is the Cuban Varadero.

Edited: 13 January 2012, 18:10
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

You can take the guided tour up the mountain or venture out on your own which is what i had done.

Outside the resort to the left there is a trail heading up the mountain; very steep so not recommended for older people or people seriously out of shape. Even i had to stop a few times while holding onto a tree to catch my breathe / cool off from the days heat )

When you get to the top there will be a trail going left to right. If you head right it will bring you to a rocky outcrop overlooking the resort and ocean. Beautiful view!! Lots of tarantula barrows too along the trail; you can coax them out with a piece of grass if your interested in a closer view or taking a picture of the fine spiders.

Off to the left of the trail you will come upon a farmer's house; he lives there with his wife and his son and daughter in law and grandchild. I was not sure if i was allowed there ( on his land ) so i kept along the trail.

He approached me, actually startled me as i was not expecting to see someone up there as i was on the trail and motioned for me to follow him.

Being naturally cautious i hesitated but followed while keeping a safe distance ;) He brought me to his farm where his son i believe ( in his forties or late thirties perhaps ) was standing with a machete. I had some flashbacks to a few scary movies i had seen in the past so again i approached cautiously.

Silly me, very friendly people, his son cut open a fresh coconut with the machete threw a straw in and gave it to me! Very nice indeed. Then i was offered some fresh sugar cane from the older gentleman! I gave them some money as a token of my gratitude. All the while the older man was speaking with me yet i could not understand him!! ( poor spanish on my part ) He then motioned for me to follwo him again, and brought me into his house and gave me a tour of his bedroom kitchen living room etc.. I thanked them all and then proceeded down the other side of the mountain where he kind of indicated i should go to head back to the resort.

Following the other side down you come upon a road, there are some people in front of their houses driveways selling little souvenirs. I bought a few things from them to take back home as gifts and memorabilia; besides i know how poor these people are and helping them out really made me feel good about myself and hopefully made a small difference in thier lives.

Jibacoa is a great place for R&R, a somewhat older crowd there everyone was friendly beach towel guy ( forgot his name :( ) was a really nice person; approached me out of the blue to talk and introduce himself got a smile and a how are you buddy everyday from him. Bartenders were great ( front bar lobby bar waitresses could have been a bit friendlier seemed like there was a little barrier between us ) All in all i had an amazing vacation there and met some great people ( staff and travellers alike ).

Enjoy yourself!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking from Breezes Jibacoa

The view from the hike up the hill is amazing (it's where some of the brochure pictures of B were taken). I'm in good shape, and yeah, I had to stop to catch my breath too...I was soaked by the time I got to the top but well worth it.