We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

Hawkesbury, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

Has anyone recently been to Breezes Jibacoa? What is the situation with the jellyfish?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
924 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

I haven't been, but the last few reviews I've read on villa Jibacoa chameleon have stated no jelly sightings.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,827 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

These are more commonly know as Portuguese Man o' War in the caribbean, and are not really a jellyfish but a totally unique species separate from the jelly family.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

I was at BJ last Dec and in 2 weeks saw about 3 or 4 on the beach

St. Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

We were there at Breezes Jibacoa, Feb. 6-13. No blue bottles until a weather change on Saturday night, 11th. After a windy night, there were a fair number that got dragged onto the beach tangled in the seaweed. Red flag on Sunday and Monday.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

Any information you can get here is already obsolete. Tomorrow could bring a ton of them, or not. Impossible to know in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jibacoa
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

eeeefarm is correct there is no way of knowing. It usually happens with an on shore wind. The first visit... one Nov there were lots of them and have never seen as many since. On some visits I've only seen one or two in two weeks and they were dead on shore. Usually see more on shore at the CVJ beach.

Hawkesbury, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

Want to thank everyone for their info... even if there are jellyfish WE ARE STILL GOING NO ONE WILL KEEP ME AWAY! Just asking myself if we bring our wetsuits.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

If you have wet suits that is a good idea. Yes, it's a weight issue, but I have a "shorty" and take it to Jibacoa, not so much elsewhere. My last trip I only saw a very few PMOWs, but still someone was unfortunate and got stung.

Hawkesbury, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

eeefarm... you are a ressourcefull person to know if anyone is going to Cuba. TKS

10. Re: Blue bottle jellyfish - recent situation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Jibacoa