We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another cell phone question

Ottawa
Level Contributor
128 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Another cell phone question

Just need an update. I will be in Cuba for two weeks in February and have (yes HAVE) to be reachable while I am there. (Believe me I wish I could "leave it all behind" but I have a property on the market and my agent is concerned that I could miss an offer while out of the country.

When travelling to most other countries I have little issues as I have two smartphones (One is unlocked and will accept any GSM sim) both are world phones.

I have read that Cubacel will rent a chip to tourists. I'm traveling to (landing and leaving from Veradero airport) Jibacoa for a week and Havana for the rest of the trip. Where can I rent the chip and buy pre-paid minutes.

I know I will belimited to talk and text on the phone, that is fine. Any contracts/paperwork can be handled by fax/email which I can get access to through the hotels I am staying in.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another cell phone question

You can rent the chip at the Etecsa office in Varadero or at an Etecsa office in Habana. Not sure there is one in Jibacoa. You will have to buy a minimum of 10CUC of credit when you rent the line. It will be free for you to receive calls and text. Sending texts is 1CUC and calls you make are 1.40CUC. Since you have 2 phones, maybe you could use one to receive the calls, and the others to make them or send the texts? You can probably get a plan from your provider that will be less expensive than what Cubacel offers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another cell phone question

Diito Gengen - I too would be very surprised if for such a short trip a Canadian plan wasn't more practicable. From the Etecsa office in Varadero or Havana (nothing in Jibacoa) daily SIM rental is 3CUC

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another cell phone question

Sorry,what's a 'Chip' is it what we call in the UK a sym. Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another cell phone question

Yes ...as per #2 "SIM rental is 3CUC"

Why would you call it a "sym" when "SIM" is short for "subscriber identification module"?

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another cell phone question

fidel,sorry, yes 'sim' but a chip comes with fish?.ehehehe.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 02:37
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another cell phone question

Absolutely (hopefully many and not just one) ..... but north americans speak real funny.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
128 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another cell phone question

Sorry about the chip thing. I keep thinking about my last trip to Curacao where the Company is called Chipie, and they call them chip phones. Yes I am referring to a SIM. I was told that my current provider (Telus) does not have an agreement with Etecsa so I would have to buy a second domestic package, and then pay the roaming fees etc. Just too much hassle so I thought I'd to the local provider thing.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,370 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another cell phone question

Telus works in Cuba, I'm with Telus and the phone worked, although I did not use it and turned it off as soon I realised it was on... ;-)

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another cell phone question

RWhitbread,Respectfully, one more. A CHIPIE (CHIPPY) in the UK ,sells the fish and chips.best wishes.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 03:36
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another cell phone question

In Oz a "chippie" is a carpenter!

Get answers to your questions about Jibacoa