We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Heraklion airport to Georgioupolis

Which Georgioupolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melton mowbray
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Heraklion airport to Georgioupolis

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 teenagers) flying in to Heraklion in July. We have booked this direct with Easyjet and apartments that we've been to before but need some advise on transfering from airport to resort. Taxis seem to be out as there are 5 of us and a minibus is just to costly. Been told to book a car to be at the airport and then have it collected in Georgioupolis the next day and vice versa at the end of the 3 weeks, we wouldn't want a car for the 3 weeks just wouldn't use it. Can anyone advise of a car company that will do this and would it be cheaper to hire from resort or airport?

Really need some help on this one.

Thanks.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Heraklion airport to Georgioupolis

Hi there

A regular hire car with 5 seats would do the job as long as it had room for al your bags but I wonder if any rental firm would be keen enough to rent out for such a short period of time and then have to recover the car back to Iraklion from Georgiopoulis, which is about 120 kms

My choice would be to take the regular buses but I don't know if that would appeal to you. It's easy and cheap, and wouldn't be that much slower than a car really, Any bus that stops at the airport with "HPAKLIO" on the front ( Iraklion) will terminate at bus station A in the city, which also happens to be the station where buses for Chania depart once an hour or so. You'd then connect for the bus to Chania which goes right by Georgiopoulis but obviously, I have no idea where your hotel is in relation to the bus stops. So, unless the hotel is within easy walking distance, you'd need to take a taxi ( two in fact) to the hotel.

You say you've stayed at these apartments before - the only other thing I can suggest is that you contact the owners and see if they can offer advice for a cheaper resort-hoppa-type transfer or similar.

What time do you arrive in Crete?

Edited: 17 January 2011, 17:49
melton mowbray
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Heraklion airport to Georgioupolis

Thanks for this, I have looked at the bus timetable and timewise its ok. We arrive at 1.30 pm so would be ok, I had heard getting the bus is a bit of a nightmare especially with luggage but is deffinately worth looking into further.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Heraklion airport to Georgioupolis

If you arrive at 1.30pm then I also agree with GB's suggestion to use the buses.

The buses are designed to take luggage & the trip should be hassle free.

If you know where your accommodation is then get off the bus at the appropriate stop. If not take the bus into Georgiopolis & take a taxi to your apartments.

It should work out much cheaper than the other alternatives.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Heraklion airport to Georgioupolis

Hi again

Mick's right, the buses are in fact coaches, quite comfortable, with aircon and they have underfloor lockers for the cases so you won't be up to your necks in baggage. It's a pleasant way to see the island for an hour or two and is no less relaxing than taking a cab or a hire car.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
652 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Heraklion airport to Georgioupolis

I also recommend renting a car. Its cheaper. Remember that you will need 2 taxis from Heraklio airport to Hetraklio bus station, which will probably cost the same for renting a car for 1 day (25 euro)!

6. Re: Transport from Heraklion airport to Georgioupolis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Georgioupolis