We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Which Georgioupolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Having stayed in rethymnon for the past three years (lovely resort and hotel), and having stayed in chania and agios nilolaos in the past, we thought we'd like to try somewhere different.

Since Georgioupolis always seems to get glowing reports, thought we might try a week or 10 days there.

And since we prefer to use tour operators rather than organise things ourselves, I naturally got brochures for the main operators, though I couldn't find all the brochures I was looking for. And when I read them I couldn't find a single holiday in Georgioupolis!

It's the same looking at the operators' websites; I found one or two large resort type places miles outside the village. There's nothing at all wrong with these, they're just not the sort of place we like.

So can anyone recommend a tour operator who caters for the place, or would I need to do it all myself?

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Hi I think you may have to book flight and then accommodation separate. Stayed there a few years ago but there was only First Choice doing Georgioupolis this year and next year they are only doing A/Inclusive. Can not find any other info as tried too.? Transfer from Chania airport not cheap unless you book a shuttle transfer ?. The area outside Georgioupolis a few miles towards Kavros is mainly beach and thats all. No good for any culture or harbour. Just depends on what you want. Kalyves and Rethymnon very good and lots to see.

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Sorry exgeordie, just realised you have been to Rethymnon !!!

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

No problem, Stella, and thanks for the reply. It strikes me that I may have been looking under the wrong resort. If there's no specific section for Georgioupolis I've been looking in the Rethymnon section - I wonder whether I should have been looking under Chania?

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

www.corissia.com is in the midle of Georgioupoli, book direct and search for flight only to Chania

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Thomson/First Choice have a couple of places with flights from London :O) :O)

There does seem to be only 2 places and I have no idea as to what they are like!

Edited: 14 October 2011, 07:59
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Hmmmm! Have just done a dummy booking and First Choice is not coming up with the goods.

The Thomson holiday site is though.

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Hi, just looked at Thomson web site too. They have 2 places at Georgioupolis, the Kokolas is fairly central, whilst the Orpheas Resort in on the outskirts and in the Kavros area about 3 to 4 k away. We walked from Georgiouplolis to Kavros in May and found it to a boring long walk and would not stay there unless you want a beach type holiday. We then got the bus back to Rethymnon, where we were staying. Think the Kokolas used to be with Kosmar before they ceased trading......

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Thanks for the replies.

Albert - the Corissia Beach looks a very nice hotel, though I found its website a bit...awkward to use, maybe. And its location looks ideal for us ... it seems to be in the centre of the village, though to be honest I don't know where the centre is reckoned to be.

Stella - yes, I found those two. The Orpheas sounded a bit too far out for the sort of place we like. And I think the Kokolas had mixed reviews ... but doesn't everywhere?

Even the Corissia, which I'm reading the reviews of at the moment, and is No 1 in Georgioupolis, has 2 "poor" and 3 "average" marks.

Later: I really don't understand people who give a hotel a glowing review, and then award marks of 3/5. Or downgrade it because the staff don't speak french. Or because they went in October and everything was closing down.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Corissia is near the station from the red train, that goes to the lake . Its a new hotel, 3-4 years old now, you can contact www.adventurebikes.org they can book direct maybe, other wise with me. I guarantee they are good.

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
993 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Georgioupolis - Tour Operators?

Book flights and accomodation separately.

I personally would not recommend Corissia (although to be fair I have never stayed there) but IMO you are better off getting a much smaller, friendlier hotel.

There are LOADS of good ones in GP.

Get answers to your questions about Georgioupolis