We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold feet

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cold feet

HELP!!! Have booked 2weeks in Georgiopolus with hubby, 13 & 11 year old but getting cold feet. Can someone put my mind at rest - I adored Kefalonia and Zante, is Crete as beautiful? We are SC at the kokalas resort and am wondering if there is enough to do to keep the children occupied (going first 2wks if school summer hols). Hubby thinks I am being paranoid but I can still amend hol until 15 may for smallish charge. Am I being paranoid???

Agios Nikolaos Chapel
Churches & Cathedrals
Georgioupolis Safari
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cold feet

Hi, I don't know about your accom. so can't comment but.............Yes you are being paranoid.

Georgioupolis is a great little village and IMHO is a great place for a holiday with kids.

Your 13 and 11 year olds will have a great time so don't worry.

Have you looked at the tourist info for the area and the reviews for your hotel?

Here are a couple of links............http://www.crete-connections.com/Places/Georgioupolis.htm

explorecrete.com/crete-west/EN-Georgioupolis…

BTW There is a happy train to take you all to lake Kournas where you will find pedalos to propel yourself around the lake. Great fun!

explorecrete.com/crete-west/EN-Kournas-lake.…

I haven't been for a couple of years but I am sure that it is still a good family resort. I really wouldn't be concerned. :O) :O)

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cold feet

I think you are having the cold feet that anyone responsible for booking a holiday for a whole family would have. You'd have them wherever and whatever you'd booked because you just want everyone to have a good time, which is hardly the same as being paranoid. (Thought: let your husband do the bookings for next year's holiday. ;-)

Stop worrying. Crete is beautiful, and Georgioupolis is an excellent resort in impressive surroundings with one of the best beaches in Crete and plenty for everyone to do, and well located between Chania and Rethymnon for exploring both those beautiful cities and their surroundings if you so wish. Most people love Georgioupolis, and you and your family probably will too.

As for the accommodation, it has mostly very good TA reviews, apart from the top one which seems to have been written by someone with unrealistic, overly-high expectations. Read them all carefully and see what you think yourself. There is plenty of accommodation in Georgioupolis so there's no need to stick to Kokalas if you think you might not like it.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 08:17
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,344 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cold feet

Yes, don't worry, G'opolis is a great place and well situated if you want to explore the area.

Have a great time, I'm sure you will.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cold feet

Hi there

Crete is wonderful, if you enjoyed the scenery on Kefalonia then Crete has as much and more. It has some stunning beaches and as much history as you can possibly absorb. We have been visiting for 20 years and just can never get enough of it.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cold feet

We stayed around the corner from your apartments, and they looked lovely. We stayed in the village when our son was abouy 7years and had a great holiday.

The beaches are lovely with little chapels at each end. There is the lazy river, to hire pedalos on. The happy train takes you to Lake Kournas, where you can again hire pedaloes etc, on the lake. There was a great play area, in the centre of the village, which was well equipped, and for a few euros, kids played for hours, in the evenings, while their parents were able to sit and have a drink/meal in peace.

There is a great choice of tavernas in the village, where children are always made to feel welcome, as is usual in Greece.

The main highyway runs along the top of the village and you can catch the local buses, all air conditioned, to Chania, Rethmynon and many other places, in the area, should you fancy a change of scenery.

I am sure you will have a holiday to remember, don't forget to post a review when you return

middx
Level Contributor
423 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cold feet

Hi Barnsey, we stayed at the Kokalas last year and first time to Crete, would highly recommend and would have no qualms about returning, the pool is slightly smaller than may look in pics but definately not an issue, there were plenty of children so yours will find mates, the owners are all lovely and friendly, very helpful and homely. The village just has a lovely feel to it, my hubby and kids ( then 13 & 15 ) did the canoeing out past the little church, think it was 5E and were gone ages and saw loads of turtles and other wildlife, very good value, would also take the train up to lake Kournas and go out on the lake, we had pedaloes, cant recall the price, must of been fine, did review the Kokalas, I'm sure you will all love it, and lucky you having 2/52, we had one, we are returning to Crete but trying Ag Marina but will drive to G'polis for a day or evening. Let us know if the pelican still trots about? have a great time. M

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cold feet

Mari - The Pelican is no longer in Georgopolis (it's a sad story but with a happy ending) - she was illtreated but rescued & has recently been re-released on the mainland with a friend.

For Coldfeet - don't worry Crete is very beautiful - if you get bored with the long, long, sandy beach there are buses to both Hania & Rethymno or you could hire a car for a couple of days - lots of wonderful scenery & small villages easily reachable - try Argiropolis, Kalives, Aptera, Kournas (lake or village) - these will feel a little more like the 'real' Crete & you will find prices at tavernas lower than in the resort.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cold feet

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I feel so much better for it, as not all of you can be wrong!! I have read and re-read the apt reviews and Maris comments have reiterated what the majority of people say. I even joked with my friend tonight about probably loving it so much I re- book for next year! As to letting husband choose and book - as much as I love him I am not that trusting with my precious two weeks annual leave :-) we would probably end up on some 18 - 30 booze cruise by mistake (or not??). Will post on my return. Thank you all again.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cold feet

Hurrah.............Result!

Personally, I can't think that anyone wouldn't love Crete (18-30 resorts excepting) but there you go LOL!

Have a lovely holiday. :O) :O)

middx
Level Contributor
423 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cold feet

Hi JWugg, thanks for that, sounds better for him, he did look rather sad, and Barnsey you may well re-book, I would have but with so much to explore on Crete just trying somewhere else, but with the knowledge can and will return, it;s a responsibility making the booking, but hey, someone's got to do it, be sure to let us know what you think, and getting a car is a must as said, if you can that is,my husband found the driving fine.M

Get answers to your questions about Georgioupolis