We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or Hire a Car?

Leeds
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Topic
Bus or Hire a Car?

Sorry for another post.....

I am trying to work out if we need a car when we visit GP in September?

From all your advice so far, we will probably visit both Chania and Rethymnon as day trips. Would you advise getting a car or the bus? How much roughly is a return bus fare?

Would we be missing out on a lot if we didn't have a car to explore? We are happy to walk places too (e.g. to the lake)

We are only staying for one week.

Thanks

Leeds
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

For example, it was suggested that we visit Argiroupolis springs - can this be done by bus?

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
676 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

Yes but bus to Argyropolis leaves Rethymno 6:00, returns to Rethymno 6:45, leaves Rethymno 14:45, returns to Rethymno 15:30, i.e. it's a school service, so you would have to spend most of the day if you went by bus. We've been several times but never wanted to spend all day! There are many places to eat/drink, and the propietor of the herb/oils shop under the big archway used to provide a local sketch map to help find most points of interest. It's best to use a car, or cars, it's more fun with a party of friends.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,356 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

Hi there

If you don't mind driving then I would suggest you hire a car, the hire charge per day is around 20 - 24 euros - hiring a car gives you so much more flexibility and you aren't tied to timetables, or wasting part of your holiday waiting for buses.

One of the most enjoyable things is stopping off where you like the look off....having a relaxing lunch, stopping to take photos where you like , and discovering different places :-)

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

There is a noddy train starting from Georgioupolis and reaches the Agriroupolis springs. It goes every day and it's a good idea to enjoy the view. It also goes to lake Kournas

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
994 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

As others have said the road train is good for day trips.

The advantage of a car is that you can collect at the airport and save money on taxi to the resort.

Leeds
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

Thanks

How often does the road train run? Would I be able to find a route map for it anywhere?

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
994 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

The road train goes to several different places each day from GP, including the springs and Lake Kournas.

That's two day trips sorted for you - add in trips to Chania and Rymenthon and you're only left with a few days for the beautiful beach!

Leeds
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

Brilliant, thanks :-) Can't wait to go!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

If I go to Georgioupolis in the meantime I'll get a leaflet to scan and upload for you to see it. Not sure when I'll go though.

Leeds
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus or Hire a Car?

That's really kind of you, thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Georgioupolis