We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgioupolis drownings

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
Georgioupolis drownings

Hi Everyone

I was really looking forward to out first holiday to GP in September. Last night I read a recent review on one of the hotels and the poster said during their two week stay there were 5 drownings! A doctor on the scene at one of them had stated that there are on average three drownings per week. I am so shocked. The authorities keep this very quiet. Why has no-one mentioned this. It should be brought to people's attention.

Doing a little bit of research there is a mention of drowning accidents on a couple of other websites.

My husband and I love swimming in the sea and snorkelling. Looks like it's not worth the risk.

I am sure we will enjoy our holiday. GP seems like our kind of place but we will not be back.

Jean

Torreblanca, Spain
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Georgioupolis drownings

I have been going to Georgioupolis for the past twenty years and have never experienced danger in the sea - ever. Maybe I've been lucky. It sometimes gets a little rough, but not normally in the summer months. Have swum at Kavros as well and at Kalivaki - the west end of the beach.

The sea must be getting rougher...............normally the sea is calm, although the wind can get up and it can get a tad choppy.

There is a nice public swimming pool at the Edem anyway, so if you are desperate for a swim, you can swim there. It is clean and well looked after with a great grassed area. The pool is quite large and it can get a bit busy. I used it often.

I have never experienced any undertow or rip currents. I come from Cornwall, so am used to rough seas.

I am very surprised at these drownings. Many rivers run into the sea here, so I would avoid these areas.

The beach and sea at Georgioupolis is one of the best places I have ever been to and I am a keen swimmer. Generally the sea is calm/clear and a wonderful colour.

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Georgioupolis drownings

Thank you for your reassuring post - we plan to go this next summer and I am just about to book the flights but when I saw this thread - I kinda thought I might change my mind - so glad I read this and think we will still go ahead with our travel plans.

angela

Rhyl, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Georgioupolis drownings

Angela - I have visited probably in excess of 30 times in the last 26 years & thankfully there has never been a drowning while I've been there, we spend almost all our holiday on the beach too! I have once or twice seen the lifeguards rescue people from the water. These incidents have happened on days when it's been really windy & the sea becomes reAlly rough. This does happen now & again throughout the summer & it seems there's no particular pattern to it either , you can have a week of very little wind & the sea is like a millpond , you can wade out for 100m & still only be in up to chest height, it's a delight! Then you can have a day or several where it's really windy, the red flags are flying & the lifeguards are patrolling , blowing their whistles to tell people who've ignored the red flags to get out, it never ceases to amaze me how foolish some people can be sometimes !! The lifeguards certainly earn their wages on those days I can tell you!!!

Don't let the original post of this thread put you off visiting this lovely place & beach, it's a real treat!! No flag, get in, red flag stay out - easy! 😄

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Georgioupolis drownings

Hi there Jean, just started reading the 'Georgie' forum and wondered if you actually swam in the sea on your holiday in Sept. 2013? We have been visiting there every year since 2006 and have been there at different times of the year. I have seen the wind really pick up and the sea turn rough - it's frightening. When we went in 2006 I had previously seen a television programme in the UK about a case relating to a drowning of a little boy - a programme about holidays turning into nightmares - the family of the little boy had not seen the red flag as it was all torn and not displayed clearly. So upsetting. I always think of this programme when we visit. I had heard of other drownings too. Personally, the water is too cold there for me but many people enjoy the water.

So pleased the life-guards are there and flags are clearly displayed now. Take care everyone. They know the seas better than us.

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Georgioupolis drownings

Hello, I am the OP. Yes we had a lovely holiday in Georgioupolis and would certainly return. Other posters did furnish us with a lot more detail about the drownings. It would seem that if this dreadful thing happens it is when the red flag is flying and people ignore it or go into the sea when they are drink or something like that.

I'm not sure whether or not the lifeguards were still on duty in September when we visited but we didn't get any windy days. We went on the beach most days and had a swim but only used the little beach round to the left (looking out to sea) of the little chapel and the harbour. It's probably a bit more sheltered there. It was really lovely and the water was nice and warm.

I think when I put my original post I was panicking a bit after what I had read but as others have said if you are sensible it's fine.

Jean

Torreblanca, Spain
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Georgioupolis drownings

I hope that you went and enjoyed your time there AND got to swim in calm seas!!!! When it is calm it is amazing........so clean and clear - unbelievable............oh and the village is great also (when out of the main season).

37. Re: Georgioupolis drownings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2016, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Georgioupolis