We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Public Bus for Transfers to Georgioupolis

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
881 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Using Public Bus for Transfers to Georgioupolis

Hi everyone

Just returned yesterday from Georgioupolis. Thanks to those who helped with my post a few months ago regarding using bus transfers. We did it, it worked very well and it saved us €100 against the taxi price. We didn't really want to spend a lot of money and as there were just the two of us the total cost was €25.60. Just thought I would post in case anyone else is thinking of doing it.

Of course it takes quite a bit longer than a direct transfer or hiring a car. Just allow yourself plenty of time.

Our flight from Leeds/Bradford landed at 12.35 p.m. Saturday. We were out of the airport by 13.00 and bought our bus tickets at the kiosk outside. The bus left at 13.30 and arrived at Hania bus station half an hour later. Bought more tickets then had a sit inside where there is a snack bar and caught 14.30 bus to Rethymno, getting off at Georgioupolis. (Conductor shouts out the place name as you arrive). We were in our room by 15.15.

Our return flight was at 13.15. As it was Saturday morning we thought the buses might be busy so got there in time for the 08.20 bus which rolled up at about half past. Got into Hania at 09.15 intending to sit and have a coffee and snack in the cafe and catch airport bus at 10.10 but I'd bought the tickets and they said Airport bus was at 09.30 so we caught that one. We were at the airport for just after 10.00 a.m. So a little bit of hanging about but not really stressful at all. I am glad we did it. The bus station seems a bit chaotic but it's quite well organised really.

Tip: if you need any sandwiches or cakes for your journey get them from the cafe at the bus station. The bread is really fresh and smells gorgeous. There is a good choice and it's cheap. 2 baguettes were €3.80. At the airport they were €4.95 each and shrink wrapped. Frappe s were only €1.20 at the airport though. Also at the tax free shop before you board the bottles of water are only 50 cents. Paid £2 at Leeds Bradford.

Hope this helps somebody else,

By the way we had a lovely holiday.

Cheers, Jean

Agios Nikolaos Chapel
Churches & Cathedrals
Georgioupolis Safari
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Public Bus for Transfers to Georgioupolis

Thanks for coming back to the forum here Jean, good to know you enjoyed your stay.

Newport
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Public Bus for Transfers to Georgioupolis

Might be a silly question but which airport did you fly into

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,344 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Public Bus for Transfers to Georgioupolis

Hope Jean doesn't mind me jumping in here, she flew to Chania.

Transfer from Heraklion is a lot longer, but still possible if you arrive during the day. Of course the savings are even more.

Torreblanca, Spain
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Public Bus for Transfers to Georgioupolis

I have used the public buses with luggage and it's a good service. Hania coach station seems chaotic, but you can find your bus eventually!! I love using the buses to get around the island, it can be very entertaining.

The trip to the west along the north coast is good for views and trips to Rethymnon are easy and quick.

The horns on the bus are hilarious and shouldn't be missed, and the drivers are good and safe. Slightly going off topic there.................

5. Re: Using Public Bus for Transfers to Georgioupolis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Georgioupolis