We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitos

Hi there we have booked to stay at the leftis romantica in august but have read that the area is very bad for mosquitos and as were travelling with two children we wondered how true this is and if anyone can reccomend anything that we could bring with us to help prevent getting bit..

Also does anyone know a good site with travellers pics of those apartments and the surrounding area..

thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos

Hi hellcat1 not sure of the area you are staying in, but I know a bit about the mozzies...!!

Take a liquid mozzie repellant plug in for your apartment (if you have two bedrooms, then take two plug ins). They are about £8 each, but worth it. My hubby is a magnet for the little blighters, but found last year the plug ins to be very good. We also eat Marmite on toast in the mornings, even when in Corfu - for some reason they don't like it, must come out in the skin somehow!!

Other people take the Avon skin so soft or there is the Boots After Sun with citronella, that might be better for the children.

If you do get bitten, vinegar on the bite can help.

I did see a T-Shirt in Sidari that had a picture of cartoon mozzies on the front with the wording 'so many tourists....so little time....!!! ' so the little blighters get everywhere.....

Have a great holiday Fi

London
Level Contributor
603 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos

Four years ago a scientist friend recomended taking Vit B for at least a month before you travel and during your holiday. I took her advice and have never been bitten since.

Sidari
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos

tiger balm from your local pound shop . great if you get a bite and dirt cheap

cover ankles if you can after dark , and don,t wear perfumes , or aftershaves , hundreds of anti mozzie lotions about , but we like jungle formula roll on neck, and ankles, legs choice areas for the little blighters

Thessaloníki...
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos

The iphone has a free app. Of course take the liguids with you.

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos

I read somewhere recently that it is vital that any mosquito repellent is rubbed into the skin - it is not enough to merely spray or roll and this may explain why treatments work for some people and not others.

Steve

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitos

Thank you all for the advice there is some great suggestions that i will look into..We are staying in the moraitika area of corfu i dont know if anyone knows this area.But if anyone has any info or pics that may be of interest to us we would be very interested to hear from you..

thanks again H

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
300 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitos

if you use the plug ins dont do what a lot do and close all the windows...i read somewhere that the plug ins are repellants as oppose to a killer, therefor the mosquito needs to be able to get out of the room when repelled.

the mossies tend to love my skin too, i usually wear mosquito repellant bands, as well as using a roll on (which contains deet); in addition use plugs in the room.

if all else fails drink plenty of metaxa, it makes you immune to the itching!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitos

Hi BiddyEllen - love the Metaxa theory......!!!! I think I will indulge when in Sidari in 4 weeks time...Good excuse for a good tipple.....lol. Fi

9. Re: mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:40
Get answers to your questions about Moraitika
Recent Conversations