We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Corfu

Marston Moretaine...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in Corfu

Hello there,

We are holidaying in Moraitika in August and considering hiring a car as we would both really like to see as much of the island has possible. Neither of us have driven abroad before and a bit nervous about the prospect. What are the roads like in Corfu? Any advice on the best place to hire a car in the Moraitika area?

Thanks in advance

Mat and Helen

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Corfu

The roads are fairly quiet around Corfu apart from when you get nearer to Corfu Town itself,just watch your speed when your on the quieter roads as they can be quite narrow in places as well as uneven and beware the numerous potholes.But as long as you drive sensibly i'm sure you'll both enjoy the driving.

Sidari
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Corfu

MY advice to you is take trips out from resort this visit, sit back and enjoy....

August very busy , Italian , as well as greek drivers ....observe for a few days then make your choice,to drive, or not.....enjoy your stay , on this beautiful, but chaotic Island

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Corfu

I too hate driving abroad however I find the roads around the Greek islands to be quiet, however stay away from Corfu town it is horrendous , take one out for a day at around 30e and return it after an hour if you don't enjoy it, there is nothing better than driving through little villages and dropping off at secluded little beaches

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Corfu

Hi

We have always hired our car from the hire shop across the road from Zaks Taverna in Messonghi just before the bridge into Moraitika.

They generally have good deals such as pay for three days and get another two free.

They will also pick you up from your apartments the day you hire the car and drop you back when you return the car.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Corfu

The main thing to remember when driving in Greece is that if someone is tailgating you, move over to the right or pull in to the first available layby or gateway etc to let them pass you. Local people have somewhere to get to in a hurry, they know the roads well and will drive much faster (and often more recklessly) than you. Don't be flustered into increasing your speed, just let them pass when possible. Take it very slowly at first until you get used to being on the "wrong" side of the road.

With a car you can see parts of Corfu that most tourists don't realise even exist. From Moraitika I would recommend Halikounas beach, a long, completely undeveloped stretch of sand backed by dunes and a freshwater lagoon that is a haven for wild birds. No facilities except maybe a seasonal canteen for drinks and snacks. There are usually some acrobatic kite surfers to watch.

Also if you can cope with very steep and winding roads, the village of Chlomos is like a step back in time, a picturesque traditional Greek village and if you walk right up to the church at the very top you will have the most stunning view down to the coast. There are a couple of good tavernas in the village for lunch.

You will not see these places or others like them on an organised day trip!

Marston Moretaine...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Corfu

Thanks for all the info everyone :) think we might give it a go...

Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
302 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Corfu

I too would recommend a visit to Halikounas Beach. However please check the insurance does indeed cover you for a) tyres and b) most importantly for off road. The road into Halikounas beach is classed as unadopted and the track in the dunes is most definitely classed as off-road. Easily driven with care but not all car hirers do cover this unless its paid as a premium. Lake Korission is actually a saltwater, brine lake.

As to driving here, apart from Corfu Town which is just too busy with weight of vehicles for the size of the roads at peak times, the rest of the island is relatively quiet. Avoid the potholes in some of the quieter village road locations. If you are a reasonably confident and assertive driver you will have few problems. A hire car opens up the whole island for you and the odds are you will come back again and again ;)

Edited: 10 July 2013, 20:01
Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Corfu

Corfu Town is very busy these days, but if you go early enough, you can beat the rush. You can even park by the new fort and the market if you get there by 9:00 am ... stay there for a small fee until say 2-3 pm and the local trafiic dies down sufficiently to make the return journey very pleasant.

Steve

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
13 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Corfu

we too are going to Corfu for the first time in late September. We are hiring a car but are having a bit of difficulty identifying the one way system in corfu town as all the maps I have seen so far don't include the bit between the airport and the town. Does anyone know of a map that includes this?

We are staying in Dassia but would like to visit Corfu Town on at least one day. We don't mind walking from where we park the car but are unlikely to get there before 1000 so I think by then the main car parks might be full. Any suggestions on parking either near or south of the Archaeological museum or to the west of the town?

Also any tips on parking in the villages elsewhere on Corfu would be appreciated.

Sidari
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Corfu

you can walk to corfu town from Dassia /// frequent bus service very cheap //// cheaper than parking fee

I use the tour buses for town visits in the season ... from Sidari. 4 hrs in town and no hassel

parking in villages can be tricky , as roads narrow....roads built for donkeys not cars , but thats the charm of Corfu

Get answers to your questions about Moraitika
Recent Conversations