We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel money cards/atm

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travel money cards/atm

We have always taken some cash and travellers cheques, but last year while staying in Votsalakia we were told it would be more difficult to change travellers cheques from this year, we are staying there again in August and wondered if anyone has used a prepaid travel money card in any of the restaurants, shops or at either of the atm's and if you have, have you had any problems. Thanks for any help.

9 replies to this topic
SAMOS
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel money cards/atm

As most pre paid cards charge a fee every time they are used its probably cheaper for you to get a lump sum from the ATM to last you a few days. Most places prefer cash. The Fairfx card gives excellent exchange rates with low fees

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel money cards/atm

Thanks for that we will proberly take more cash than normal, I thought I would try a post office travel money card as back up as I have been told they only charge E2 per transaction at atm's, and free in shops ect.

Sue

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel money cards/atm

Look very carefully at the T&C for a pre-paid travel card. Most of them have been introduced with the purpose of making more money out of travellers. You might do better to just take a debit card and get money out of ATMs from your normal account, just like at home.

SAMOS
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel money cards/atm

Good advice. but most UK debit cards charge extortionate fees! Check out: www.moneysavingexpert.com

Lake District
Level Contributor
139 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel money cards/atm

Hi - we have used a Post Office travel card for the last couple of years (on Poros & Syros) and had no problems - just load it when the exchange rate is favourable (if it ever happens!). Now our card has expired I am looking at the FairFX card this year which seems to be recommended. Gave up with travellers cheques as we were getting increasing problems with being able to change them.

SAMOS
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel money cards/atm

We have been using FairFX since arriving on Samos in March . We can load any amount and the rate is better than most . Get it via http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ and the card is free. 1.50€ per transaction.

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel money cards/atm

Thanks to everyone for your messages, I feel a lot happier now I know you have used money cards with no problems and I think we will take one and some cash.

Sue

Kinver. Staffs
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel money cards/atm

We have not used a pre-paid card in Europe, neither would we do so given our recent experience in Egypt...

We paid £15 for the priviledge of having the card as an initial up-front payment. We paid for trips to Jerusalem and Petra using this card and withdrew money from the exchange facility in the hotel. Whilst we understand there will be charges we felt 7% (which was what we calulated in total including the fee for the card) is a little excessive. Please beware.

Stroud, England
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel money cards/atm

ICE card does not charge a fee, has very good rates, and a flat 3E per cash withdrawal, and fee free as a pre paid mastercard. I would agree with the suggestion of occasional larger withdrawals for cash.

Have used one for about 5 years now, throughout Europe without any issues.

(I have no connection with ICE, by the way!)

Reply to: Travel money cards/atm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Votsalakia