We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Greek is Mastichari?

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
76 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How Greek is Mastichari?

Hi,

We're after two weeks of sunshine, Greek atmosphere and food, pretty harbour, beachside tavernas and nice walks with some history and culture thrown in (to keep hubby happy). I've looked at loads of places and find myself put off when I see karaoke bars, international cuisine, sky sports etc dominating resorts.

Am I asking too much or is Mastichari the answer to my prayers?

Any advice much appreciated :)

kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

Is Mastihari Greek? Well, there is a working harbour with fishing boats and ferries to Kalymnos across the water,and a few fish tavernas to choose from there. The village is a working village. by that I mean it's inhabited all year round, and is not there "just for the season"There is around 1 kilometer of good beach with an assortment of bars and very good tavernas at the harbour end, and more to choose from in the village itself. There is a water sports club on the beach but only wind powered activity is allowed there,so wind and kite surfing but no speedboats towing people around on inflatable bananas!! As for karaoke.....No1 bar plays 60's 70's 80's music and I don't suppose they would mind if you wanted to sing along, or play "Name that tune" but all music is turned off(ok down) at midnight , a local bye law, and is mostly adhered to. The Aplo bar much further up the beach caters for the late people and I understand Micky Malibu is quite popular there! Is it a pcturesque village?..... No! But it is a real Greek village that knows nothing except how to be friendly and welcoming...Give it a go,and look at this link

mastihari-uncovered.com

kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

One other thing though.....you won't completely escape Sky sports.......every bar has it, but most show it unobtrusively. One or two places advertise which matches they're showing, so we just go elsewhere when it's on.....simples

London, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

Your prayers may have been answered, you have found paradise but please keep it a secret!!!

I can only echo what Masihari0phille has said, if you are after something which is laid back, unspoilt and more importantly typically Greek then Masihari is the place.

I think you can safely say you won't find people anywhere more friendly than those in the Village, the place has this idyllic charm that just draws you back, sure there are prettier villages but Masihari you will find has that something that brings you back year on year, for me that will be 13 ,and there are others who have been coming equally as long

The majority of the bars and tavernas are set along the beachfront and the rest more in centre of the village, which is almost 2 mins from the harbour and beach if you walk slowly.

As Masihari0phile says there are bars that have sky sports, but as he says these are easily avoided when football is on, that or it is on and it is so unobtrusive you don't know it is there, you won't see groups of kids falling out of places that is for sure, it is a perfect place for a relaxing holiday, anything longer than a 5 minute walk is along way

The island has plenty of places to visit and trips to neighbouring islands and Turkey can easily be booked in the village and for the really daring the local buses are quite good.

Not sure there is much more I can add to the previous posts, but anything you want to ask fire away

Yammas

Mark

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,695 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

Those of us who travel independently and avoid package holiday resorts have no problem finding the sort of places you seek. ;-)

kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

Mastihari is far from being a package resort. We have been going there for 14 years, and 12 of those under our own steam

London, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

There are very few UK package holidays to Mastihari, the majority of those going to Mastihari do so independently, which definately keeps the place a secret!!

Daphne@ Mastihari Uncovered or Kathryn @ Kos Travel and Event Management can sort out accomodation expertly for you, no fuss no bother :) you will be in safe hands that you can be assured of

Yammas

Mark

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,695 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

To truly get away you need to pick an island that doesn't have an international airport. My first trip to Greece was a package holiday to Kos, but since then I've moved on. It may take a little more work to get there, but just curious, have you ever tried Tilos or Astypalea?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
57 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

Have a look at the pictures on discoveringkos.com/2011/06/mastichari.html or potentially https://www.facebook.com/Mastichari

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,695 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

Thanks, John! Mastichari looks beautiful, and I wasn't trying to put it down in any way. Now for pictures in the Antiparos Photo Group:

https:/…

Edited: 12 September 2013, 14:39
Leicestershire
Level Contributor
76 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Greek is Mastichari?

Thanks all for your responses :)

Mastihari sounds and looks lovely (thanks for the links John). I've looked at some flight prices, now need to check out the prices for Luis or convince my hubby to stay somewhere without a bar or pool ;)

Our only experience of Greece so far has been Trianda (Rhodes) in 2005, before it was ruined by all inclusive hotels, then Kalamaki (Zante) for 5 years running, and Sissi in Crete this year, which we loved. Sorry Heimdall, I've never heard of Tilos or Astypalea, but am curious now so may well look them up :)

I'm not the worlds most confident driver, so we tend to fly from East Midlands, which has limited us somewhat as holidays to the smaller islands tend to be limited to Gatwick or Manchester flights. We've previously stuck with package deals as with children in tow it seemed easier and practical.

Now its just two of us, we've got more choice and are looking for somewhere a bit special, so it looks like a switch to independent travel arrangements is needed :)

Get answers to your questions about Mastichari
Recent Conversations