We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visit

Which Calheta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stocksfield, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
first time visit

My husband and I are renting a friends house near Calheta in May. We were wondering what there is to visit and do. We love history and walking and were wondering if we would find enough to do in 2 weeks. We don't really swim and sunbathe but will sit in the sun for a while reading our books. Could anybody give advice on this please?

6 replies to this topic
Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visit

I would have thought your friends from whom you are renting the house will be able to advise? Anyway I suggest a tour of the west of the island and a separate tour of the east - the island is too big to do the whole in a day. If you are prepared to hire a car you will obviously have much more flexibility. Funchal is the capital and by far the biggest town on the island - buses go there from Calheta. I strongly recommend the cable car from Funchal old town up to Monte.

I've never stayed in Calheta but I understand there are quite a few Brits who stay/live there. Others on this forum will know more than I. There is plenty of info' elsewhere on this forum and in various guidebooks.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
908 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visit

I'd strongly recommend hiring a car. While buses are useful they naturally are more frequent in densely populated areas, while around Calheta is very rural. The only alternative is taxis, which would work out rather expensive.

Stocksfield, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visit

We will hire a car for the whole visit so travelling is no problem. We will visit Funchal but will tour the island from the house in Calheta

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visit

The Flower Festival will be on in Funchal on the 3rd and 4th of May . Well worth seeing if you are there then .

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
908 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time visit

With a car, you'll easily fill your time.

We reckon Madeira is the most beautiful country we will ever visit.

For history and architecture, Funchal and Machico have lots to offer, both can be reached by a good road from Calheta.

Scenery and beauty is everywhere.

For ideas suggest you look at attractions on Tripadvisor as well as looking back thru the forums, also consider buying a guide book, as well as Googling.

In the end we often just drive along different roads, with the help of a good map, and stop when we find somewhere beautiful.

You'll have a great time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time visit

In Calheta, you have:

The Casa Das Mudas Art Gallery

The Sugar cane rum factory

Whale and Dolphin watching trips from Calheta Marina

The 25 fountains walk