We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far

australia
2 posts
Save Topic
how far

how far is torre dell'orso from rome? and is it worth staying in torre

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how far

Google maps says it's about 630km, but it's either 7 hours drive (roughly) or a flight to Brindisi and then an hours drive. You'd certainly need to stay over somewhere .. but although Torre Del-Orso is GORGEOUS, I don't know what the town is like. I've never really looked, and have only been there during the day time (I'm not being negative about it, I just don't know).

Otranto & Lecce are relatively close and are really lovely towns, and there are probably lots of other villages/towns near-by that are worth a stop over. What time of year are you going? ... Torre Dell'Orso is probably more lively in holiday season and so if you're going winter, early spring or late autumn, you might be better off finding somewhere more lively.

Hope this helps

J

australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how far

hello escapetoitaly,

thanx for the reply, we are planing a trip to italy in july we will be useing our time share weeks. we really want to go to Rome but want to see other places too by doing day trips, but we have no idea how close or how far each city is to the other,its hard to decide, we are only staying in italy for a week and only in the timeshare hotel we have available.i really need to know where the colosseum,the trevi foutain,the spanish steps are so i can pick a hotel closest to them.

do you have any idea how close they are to each other,or do you think its imposseble to see them all by stayng in just one place?

thanx again,debei1

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,550 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far

>>.i really need to know where the colosseum,the trevi foutain,the spanish steps are so i can pick a hotel closest to them.<<

You really need a guide book on Rome, which will have a map showing where all the sights are. A good one is the D&K "Top Ten Rome", which would be very helpful in planning your time in this wonderful city.

4. Re: how far

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 15:05
London, England
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how far

'Escape' has said it all really- get a basic guide book, look at the road planner website; www.viamichelin.com for routes, driving times and distances,

the rail travel site; www.seat61.com for European railway links

and for cheap European flights; /www.whichbudget.com/ a directory of budget airlines by departure/destination - for who flies where, or http://flightchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ if you have destinations or dates in mind. But remember that Trenitalia don't post train timetables that far in advance, that European budget airline prices can fluctuate up or down right up to departure dates and if you use an airline like Ryanair (who have lots of internal domestic Italian routes) they are only cheap if you book and check-in online and travel with limited size hand baggage, and security checks mean you may have to add a couple of hours to flight times. Puglia is lovely- but much too far distant as a day trip from Rome- even if you fly.

The Rome forum might be better to post on rather than this, the Puglia one, re other questions, but all the places you mention (Trevi, Spanish, Colosseum) are within a 20-30 minute walk- so any central accommodation will suit . Rome hotels are in our recent experience getting really expensive and often not great value, so maybe better to get an apartment, esp if there are more than 2 of you. I've not used it but the site www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com/ look pretty good; compare costs with hotels from TA

Edited: 22 December 2009, 18:29
Lecce, Italy
Level Contributor
89 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how far

From Australia to Torre dell'Orso, it seems you are shooting a neverend road movie! Lecce and Otranto have sense for a first stay in here. From Rome you have a car option (7 hours) to Otranto which is the eastern point in Italy or a train option to Lecce (7 hours including delays). It really depends why do you travel...

7. Re: how far

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Torre Dell'Orso
Recent Conversations