We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samui in September

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Samui in September

We're thinking of going to samui right at the beginning of September for our honeymoon, after spending a few days sightseeing in Bangkok.

Just a few concerns, we don't want to stay in Chaweng, too noisy and overdeveloped and were thinking of somewhere quieter like bophut and the bophut resort and spa, as we like the idea of being able to easily walk out of the resort and go for dinner/drinks.

One problem is that I've heard the beach at bophut isn't great for swimming and my fiancé loves open water swimming and we both love snorkelling.

Is the beach at bophut really that bad? Any other recommendations in samui? Or anywhere else in Thailand?

S.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samui in September

Hi

If you like to swim in the ocean then bophut is not your area (in my opinion any way)

Chaweng is long stretch beach. IMHO south chaweng still relatively quiet and clean once you are resort you can hardly notice anything going on outside. Easy walk to bars restaurants but not hustle and bustle, Also you might considering Chaweng Noi beach its next beach from south chaweng quieter with a few places to eat and drinks.

Another beach is Chong Mon beach area with resorts that suite all budget.

Good luck

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samui in September

Not all Chaweng beach is busy and noisy, check out Poppies in South Chaweng, it's quieter, the beach is great and there's a lot of restaurant choices within walking distance.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samui in September

Im with Chrella

Poppies

Samui paradise beach resort both beach front on south chaweng.

New star resort and also Impiana resort both beach front in Chaweng noi.

Cheers,

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samui in September

If you don't like overdeveloped places then I don't think anywhere in Chaweng would suit you as even in south Chaweng the hotels, bars and restaurants are shoe horned together (land being so expensive) now. South Chaweng is much much quieter than Central and north Chaweng and the best of the 3 Chaweng areas but some of the hotel rooms in that area can back onto the busy ring road, which is very very noisy.

If you want good sand and a quieter area Choeng Mon could be a good compromoise between Chaweng and Bhoput. It has white sand, clean blue sea and good swimming (you won't find good snorekelling though on this beach or anywhere else in Samui). There are restaurants and bars beachside and in the high street and you're slap bang in the middle of Bhoput and Chaweng (10 mins in either direction) if you fancy a bigger selection of places to eat or nighlife.

I personally don't find the beach that bad in Bhoput. Its lovely whitiish sand so nice to look at although it has got grittier sand texture than the finer textured sand you get in South Chaweng. However, my experience is that there's less rubbish in the water and on the beach in Bhoput than there is in Chaweng. The restaurants and bars in Bhoput are also much more laid back and upmarket than Chaweng.

I suppose it depends what's most important to you and what you're willing to compromise on.

5. Re: Samui in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:51