We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melati

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Melati

Has anyone been to the Melati recently? Is it possible to get transport/taxi from there into Fishermans Village at night. How much does it cost?

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melati

Yes it would be relatively easy to get a taxi to fisherman's village but as the hotel is in a more remote location, you would probably have to rely on the hotel to organise one and they usually add a little to the price. Cost would be about 3-400 bhats. Once you're there you could flag down a taxi in fisherman's village. Cost should be no more than 300 bhats. They never use their meters so you'll have to agree the price before you jump in the car.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melati

thank you for your advise - sounds a good idea - even thinking maybe use their free shuttle to chaweng and tuk tuk to fishermans village and then a taxi home - it is just that the melati sounds so good for a relaxing time.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melati

There are no Tuk Tuk on Samui and good luck in getting a taxi for THB 300 at night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melati

laOwei - have you had problems getting taxis for 300baht at night? From which location to where?

It seems the standard answer here when people ask how much are taxis, I usually read 300 baht. This is the first I have heard warnings about getting one at night.

Does anyone else care to share their exeperiences with getting taxis at night, as we too are staying at Melati and going to be out for dinner at least 3 nights I would say.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Melati

At night for a distance like Chaweng to Bophut I never got a taxi willing to drive for 300. But I have to admit that I seldom use taxis on Samui as I usually have my own transport. So perhaps I am just not bargaining hard enough.

Mansfield
Level Contributor
622 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melati

Nightime taxi fares Chaweng to Choeng Mon can be got with some serious haggling for 300b but some drivers will refuse the hire especially in peak times, more punters around hence more chance of a better fare. Even passing close by the airport, the Melati is further on, and although I have no experience of the extra distance to be travelled I wouldn't be suprised at the fare being more a little more than 300b. You could still be lucky though, songthaews being the better option.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melati

Fair enough, better be ready to bargain hard hey.

Another quick question, will I be able to get a songthaew from Bophut or Cheong Mon back to Melati? We are happy to pay 300 baht either way but don't want to go much higher than that unless we really need to.

Just a funny note, we thought the songthaews were just 'cheaper' taxis when we were in Khao Lak. We used them all the time and paid the same amount as a taxi (we only used them for trips on our own, so I didn't mind paying the same). We still got home in the end.

Mansfield
Level Contributor
622 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melati

Steph

There's likely to be a regular flow of taxis/songthaews from both Bophut and Choeng Mon but because Melati is a liitle remote (off the main through route) you'll probably have to negotiate a fare upfront with songthaews as well as taxis, this doesn't mean you'll necessarily pay more than 300b. At night I would hope to pay less maybe as low as 200b, daytime songthaews less. Smile, use all your charms and haggle, its fun and its expected.

In daytime songthaews are cheaper than taxis picking up punters as they travel around KS as opposed to 'mini cab' taxis but at night they transform to 'mini cab' rates, though I still find them generally more flexible to reducing their fare demands.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melati

Thanks for that MansfieldTopc. That's really helpful! We are staying 6 nights at Melati and will probably eat out at least 3 I would say, so it's nice to hear that we will be able to get home!

10. Re: Melati

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 10:35