We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much?

Which Bophut hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Borehamwood, Herts
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How much?

Hi Guys, I will be a 'newbie' to Koh Samui this September. Accommodation booked (B&B) but I don't know how much spending money I might need..... How much for simple dinner for two? How much for a beer or a Bacardi and coke? etc etc. Everyone is telling me to have lunch from the seller on the beach but I will have no idea if I am being ripped off! What should I expect to pay on average?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much?

Hi

Ripoff and expensive are two different things. Simple Lunch for the beach seller will cost you from anything $3-$10 for two. The beer from beach 60baht for small bottle. Cocktails from 180-250 baht at he resort. Simple dinner for two with drinks may cost you from anything 500-1000baht again its depends on you.

My family usually spend around $100 each per day that's for lunch, snacks, ample dinner and drinks and sometime massage as well. However that depends on your spending habit if you choose to eat and drinks in the high end restaurants it will cost you as much as home. That said some day we some more or less depends on what we did eg shopping, excursions.

Cheers,

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much?

hi guys

agree with sweet pea

budget is up to you

we eat lunch for 100 baht [2 dishes] free water , coke 15 baht , etc from local roadside restaurant

you could easily spend 1000

the beach vendors are normally quite cheap , as you will see many local thai people ordering thier food as well

beer from the 7/11 about 25 baht [ from restaurants 50 , 80, or 120 upwards depending on establishment ]

like most things , shop around

cheers

dean cleeton

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,490 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much?

Wife and I would spend about $50/60 per day on lunch, drinks and dinner ( 30/40 pounds) but depends where you eat and drink. 5 star places and that would more than double.

Borehamwood, Herts
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much?

Thank you all - I now at least have an idea of what things cost. I know to shop around and I know what I may be looking at. We don't demand luxury and prefer to find different little places to eat/drink and it does seem that Bophut has plenty of variety! Cant wait to get there now ....... 123 days and counting.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much?

Don't worry about eating the food from the street vendors you'll see loads of other tourists doing it especially at lunch time and it's cheap too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much?

and can be very tasty

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much?

Hi Nanovate - I grew up in Borehamwood many moons ago, and have lots of fond memories of it. Bophut on the other hand is a different world altogether! We loved it when we were there this Easter. (I take it that's where you are based as you mention it in your reply?)

We didn't find Koh Samui as expensive as Phi Phi, but more expensive than Hua Hin. We stayed at a small independent hotel, on the beach at the opposite end to the Hansar. Beach sellers didn't venture down that far, but our hotel was so reasonable we tended to have lunch there, if we were around. We were 'splashing out' if we spent a couple of hundred baht each.

The restaurants vary enormously in price, but our favourite, The Hut, which was near our hotel, was great value. We rarely spent more than 700 baht in total, and wine (which is expensive in Thailand, was only 90 baht glass). Elsewhere, it could be anywhere from 120 to 150. However, a lot of bars have Happy Hour - The Naviagator (I think I have that right) was good, particularly if you want to watch the 'footie'. If you like fish, there is a very simple restaurant(corrugated iron roof, plastic tables etc) on the main road, where you can get a fantastic meal for about 500 baht for two. Our most expensive meal was The Shack - Aussie steak grill - which cost about £50 for two. We rarely have western food in Thailand, but going past the smell of steaks cooking on the grill just got the better of us in the end.

The 7-11 is opposite the bank, is great for stocking up on essentials - gin, baileys, beer etc! You can also buy a SIMM card and ice for drinks - great for night caps. You can get songthaws and taxis from there as well - we always used songthaws in preference to taxis as it worked out much cheaper. We also hired a scooter for 200 baht a day - not for the faint hearted!

Hope this helps

Mags

Borehamwood, Herts
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much?

Thank you Mags - all of that is soooo much cheaper than Borehamwood lol x I have checked out a lot of the places recommended in reviews and it looks like our food/drink budget will stretch quite a way. Really looking forward to It now.

9. Re: How much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bophut