We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bophut to Chaweng

Which Bophut hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Twin cities
7 posts
Save Topic
Bophut to Chaweng

HI all,

My wife and I are looking to stay in Bophut ands wanted to know how easy it is to get around Koh Samui. We were told that Chaweng has nicer beaches and we are debating about either staying in a single hotel in Bophut for (6 nights) or doing 3 nights in Bophut and 3 in Chaweng. Can any comment on how easy or difficult it is to get around the island and the relative cost to do so?

We would also like to visit the smaller islands nearby for day trips but we don't know how easy and what the cost is to do so. Any advice?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

Hi

Don't split your stay ( IMHO is no need to) the island is just small one the ring road that's goes around the island are only 2 hours by car.

From bophut to chaweng approximately 15 mins by taxi but the traffic congested around 5pm onwards.

The beach towards south of chaweng is one of the best. Bophut beach are swimmable but due to sand qaulity it is grainy and gritty on feet. The coast from bophut to chaweng is around 350-450 baht per taxi ( bargain hard for it) or around 100-120 baht per person by songhteaw.

It is easy to get around the island there are taxi, songhtew or you can hire driver to explore the island. Or hire a car and drive yourself.

The island near by is koh phangan and koh Tao there are boats / ferry operates between these islands daily and again you can do with the tour company combines with snorkeling, kayaking etc.

on top green bar there's lists of things to do and see as well as onnth right hand side of this page FAQs under favorite things to do.

For the tour around the island check out this people www.mesamui.webnode.com/ www.samuiislandexplorer.com/

For the tour to marine national park and nearby island this company com very high regards www.100degreeseast.com/

Hope this help

Edited: 19 July 2013, 02:03
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

Yes, they are so close not worth the hassle of splitting the time. I would suggest hiring a car and driving around the island, which is fairly easy and relaxed and discover all the beaches Samui has to offer, each one different from the last. Bophut is fine, yes a bit grainy and sandy but still swimmable, Choeng Mon is a beautiful, crescent shaped beach with white sand, Chaweng one of the best beaches on the island, but also a very busy one, Chaweng Noi quieter, but lovely, Silver Beach gorgeous with no beach sellers, Lamai more windswept and goes deeper quicker than others. Most beaches on the west coast are darker sand and shallower, some are more mud flats. Maenam goes deep quickly, but it's one of the quieter beaches - enjoy them all.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

Only the beach in South Chaweng is nice, Central Chaweng is rocky and you have to go further out to swim

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,122 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

Hi,

with such a short visit, splitting your holiday will actually waste time. Stay put.

You may find this similar post a useful read --->. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293918-i7560-k6…

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

Central of chaweng is also GOOD beach but a lot busier than south, north of chaweng that bit rocky at some certain area.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

I disagree with Chrella, south chaweng is not the only nice beach.

South Chaweng may have great sand but can be very busy and has a lot of hawkers.

Cass has listed the other beaches correctly.

Personally I find Maenam and Bang Po beaches a great getaway from the masses of Chaweng beacn. Great to day trip to, eat at a beachside restaurant, enjoy the relative peace and relax.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 08:31
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

Matt where do I click LIKE :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

At Coco Tams on Jan 1st :-)

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

Ok..The peas owe you mojito/s :)

@whexican forgot to add you must go to CoCoTam for cocktails. The CoCoTam bar are right on the beach sand between your toes, great cocktails :)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bophut to Chaweng

@sweetpea - which beach is CoCo Tam's on? Sounds like fun?