We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mugged in Fishermans village

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mugged in Fishermans village

Just a warning my girlfriend andI where mugged tonight in Fishermans Village at 1950hrs walking past the Red bar when two individuals came up on a moped and sliced through the strap of her handbag, I gave chase but had no chance of catching them.

Reported to the Police but doubt we will ever hear anything. Gutted as we have lost our camera with 10 days worth of fantastic photos.

Our hotel Mantra Samui resort have been great in helping us.

Please take care with your belongings it's not as safe as it seems.

London, United...
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

Sorry to hear this , the loss of the pictures is horrible , luckily you weren't hurt in any way. This does happen , but it's not really common . I always make my wife keeps her bag on her shoulder on the pavement side , not the roadside. Also , don't put the strap around your neck and across the body , carry it loosely off the shoulder on the pavement side. People have been dragged along if the bag is over your neck and across the body. Carry it loosely and let it go if this happens. Last year , if I remember a women was killed in Phuket during a bag snatch similar to this. Also safer to not give chase.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

Very sorry to hear that your girlfriend had her bag snatched in Fisherman's Village. We stayed there for 10 days in February and never saw or heard of any similar incidents. I guess your experience is a salutary reminder to all of we holidaymakers and tourists to take care at all times when travelling. I've been all over the world but, fortunately, I've never been mugged although I have have been pickpocketed twice - both times in Madrid and both times with th same MO! Stupid me!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

That's terrible, Im sure your gutted about the photos as they can never be replaced but at least you're both ok, it's not easy but try to put it behind you and enjoy the rest of your holiday and thanks for the warning.

Mansfield
Level Contributor
615 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

Its incidents like this that the media pick up on, saying how dangerous a holiday location is but they do seem isolated and uncommon events. This style of moped mugging happened to my wife 2/3 years back, we are far more careful now but still return every year and feel very safe on KS.

Sorry to hear you've become another victim, I hope it doesn't spoil your holiday too much.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 23:39
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

I'm very sorry to hear this, it must have been an awful experience for you both.

The loss if the photos would be devastating. I am always mindful of something like this happening (or just losing it) so we have uploaded our pics to a small NetBook each night just in case. Our new camera has wifi which transfers to our iPad which is very handy. Not that this helps you at all but tips for the future.

I really hope that you can enjoy the rest of your holiday.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

Hi

Sorry to hear that. I do hope it didn't spoils your holiday and you're cover by travel insurance.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,212 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

Thanks for the info, because never heard of it and getting pretty loose at Fisherman's Village. Guess I have to be a bit more careful.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

I know instinct kicks in to give chase, but really, would be best not to at all. Chasing could have caused the situation to become violent and you or your wife could have been hurt.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

Thank you for your kind replies. We are trying to enjoy our last few days in Thailand and I must acknowledge that 99.9% of Thai people are fantastic and in no way should deter anyone coming to this country, it's just ashame that the worst of society exists in Thailand too.

We spent a wee on Koh Phangan at the Santhya resort hotel which was amazing.

Have a safe journey, learn to love and live to love, not all are bad.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mugged in Fishermans village

That's a nice attitude you have and really sorry to hear. Just curious if you got a look to see if they were locals or farang. Enjoy the rest of your time.

Get answers to your questions about Bophut
Recent Conversations