We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Genuine Thai Restaurants

ireland
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Genuine Thai Restaurants

Hi,

Just wondering us there any genuine Thai restaurants that locals frequent in Bo Phut. Failing that is there nice Thai food anywhere? Thanks 😊

Edited: 30 July 2014, 06:29
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

LOL

You will find some lovely food just about everywhere, but you need to head away from any tourist activities. The thais prefer the little motorbike food stalls that roam the island, or little hidden restaurants, with no name, dirty well thumbed menus, cheap tissues, chilli condement set, no table cloths, and plastic tables and chairs.

Having said that we have many Thai friends that have been to restaurants with us and said that the Thai food was really good.

The Friday night market in Bophut is a great place to find some nice food, one of the nicest Pad Thais I have eaten.

Canberra
Level Contributor
591 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

If you mean Fisherman's Village, depending a bit on what you order, Krua Bophut up towards Anantara has been pretty consistent the last three years, most recent in June this year. We ask for the spicy dishes to be "pet, pet" and they oblige fairly well. Happy Elephant was Ok too.

But we usually have a car and often have lunch at the roadside stalls or small local restaurants where the Thais and knowledgeable ex-pats eat, or pick up food there and at the markets to eat in the evening.

As Mitch said, to get the most authentic food you need to get a bit away from the tourist -dense areas and be prepared for pretty basic ambience. But eating just about anywhere is safe on Samui, you are just as / more likely to pick up gastro bugs at the resorts as at a local place where the food is freshly prepared.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8,762 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

At Fishermans Village go to the junction with the trafic light at the Ring Road. Right there you find a rather large open restaurant with a tin roof. It is on the left side of the Ring Road when looking towards Maenam.

Customers are mostly locals, with very few westerners.

Or, at the junction, turn left towards Chaweng and after about 150 meters there is a local market on the right (opposite Soi Sunday) with plenty of food stalls.

Forgot to mention, between the traffic light junction and the local market is also a Thai BBQ Buffet restaurant (on the right side) where you find mostly locals.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 12:24
Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

hi all

is there nice thai food anywhere made me laugh

anyway

just outside of the entrance to fishermans village [main entrance arch way ]

looking towards the traffic lights directly across the road on the corner is a thai restaurant

been there years and years usually open during the daytime

just one of hundreds around the island

cheers

DC

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,116 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

If you head to Bophut Markets you'll find stalls that serve the real deal, super hot and spicy. In Fisherman's Village itself the Friendly Frog is good, but not what I'd call completely authentic, but tasty nonetheless.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

DC - is that next to the bank, opposite the family mart?

We all find food we like with what we call a thai taste - we normally head south to the restaurants on the south of the island.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

I agree with the above posters who mention getting away from FV main street to get better food.

IMHO, the stalls at the nightly markets serve up the Thai version of fast food, sitting under heat lamps and cooked in palm oil.

Venture away from the tourist masses, even if it's just to the end of the road. Use your eyes and your own perception as to what's good. So many great meals have come by giving a restaurant a shot rather than going with the safe bet.

ireland
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

Hi there,

Thanks for all the advice guys. never been so not a clue but good to get advice. Thanks very much :)

Will venture off the main streets :)

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

Hi,

The best place to eat in Bo phut is the local market,

out of fishermans village to the traffic lights on the ring road turn left 150 yards on right opp soi sunday and family mart. I eat here almost every lunch time its 100 bhat on average for a meal and a coke is 30,its cheap its genuine and the foods fantastic.....or try mit samui in chewang also good

Kirby Bedon, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Genuine Thai Restaurants

you will be blown away with choice, go with what looks nice and is busy.

For me the best food I had was one of the bar staff at a bar I was in, offered to send a motorbike to the market for me , they came back with the most amazing food for less than a couple of quid. I had hunger pangs and it kept me in the bar spending, with a fab thai take away for nothing lol

ive also gone upscale it depends on choice but on the whole , thai food is pretty cheap so go with what looks good.

the best place to eat I found but expensive but worth it for a one off is that famous boutique hotel in chaweng- cant remember the name.

Get answers to your questions about Bophut
Recent Conversations