We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle rental

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bicycle rental

Are there any places where we will be able to hire bicycles on the island, havent yet decided which area to stay?

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycle rental

Put 'bicycle' in the search box on top to see previous discussions on the subject.

Malta is hilly and most of the roads are not geared for bicycles.

If you go to www.yellowpages.com.mt put 'bicycle renting' in the seach box on the left. You'll find a list under 'car rentals' of firms that also rent out bicycles.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycle rental

Already used the search engine--2 posts and not really helpful. Were quite fit and would love to just take off at our own pace.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicycle rental

You said you used the search engine - go to the Malta forum and there are many more than two.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicycle rental

Personally I would not risk it for fear of injury from the rustic roads, potholes and interesting driving styles. Also, I don't think there are any cycle paths and some of the roads are just too steep (perilous both ways), not too mention that bike rental appears to be nearly as expensive as car rental. Despite my concerns here are a couple of links which might help in your search:

http://www.on2wheelsgozo.com/#contact

http://www.elitecycles.org/bike_rentals.html

Please, if you find something post a review for the benefit of future travellers, and please come back if you have any further questions.

Enjoy your trip and good luck.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicycle rental

I'm afraid I agree with tripalot - not something I would recommend, there is just too much traffic and the roads are not cycle friendly at all

Since you are on the Gozo forum are you asking about Malta or Gozo. Gozo is quieter than Malta but also hillier so cycling would be pretty hard work

Edited: 05 December 2009, 21:20
Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bicycle rental

Victoria Garage (near bus station) in Rabat rents bikes

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bicycle rental

I thought that as its a tiny island traffic couldnt possibly be too bad , maybe I'll have a rethink as I really wanted somewhere that was unspoiled and a nice place to chill and hike as well as cycle. Also why would I post on Gozo forum if I wanted to know about Malta or vice versa?

Edited: 13 December 2009, 19:26
The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bicycle rental

Gozo (in places) is very unspoilt with lots of nice places for hiking, infact some places are only accessible by foot. The main road from the harbour to Victoria is the busiest (expecially during the day when the day trippers come over on the ferries from Malta. Some places such as San Lawrenz, Gharb, Dwerja (possibly if you are fit) may be viable for cycling. I have walked quite extensively in Gozo and not seen other people, or traffic for hours. I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice. Also, re bike hire most companies will supply bikes to both Malta and Gozo, and some hotels have them (or can arrange them) for the benefit of their guests.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bicycle rental

Thanks everyone for your input--there is an article in Conde Nast about tennis ace Pat Cash who visited the Island with his family and it spiked my interest as we had only planned on returning to Malta.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bicycle rental

I thought about hiring a bike on Gozo, by the first day I had decided that that wasn't a good idea. The potholes were bad enough in a car and I cycle nearly every day in London.

Get answers to your questions about Nadur
Recent Conversations
More Nadur Topics