We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

Which Mae Nam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

I may be traveling alone, so am looking for a safe,clean, quiet beach bungalow for under $50 per night. Any leads?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

You might be better off looking at Koh Phangan rather than Samui. There are bungalows on Maenam Beach, but the more rustic types can be found in Phangan. Take a look at Bottle Beach either Smile Bungalows or Bottle Beach 1. You can only get to Bottle Beach by longtail boat from Chaloklum, so it's very quiet and very safe, but you get to meet other travellers too.

bottlebeach1resort.com/accommodation.html

They have wooden beachfront bungalows with bathroom starting at 550 baht with fan.

http://www.smilebungalows.com/home.html

Bottle Beach 1 tends to have a mixed clientele of singles, families and seniors whereas Smile tends to be backpackers.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

Thank you. I am trying to get reservations at The Bottle Beach 1 Resort, it looks GREAT! It is the first week in June & full moon is June 4, 2012. Do you think the bottle beach will be more tranquil than other areas on Phanang? I am not a party animal. I prefer peace, tranquility & a good night sleep.

As far as snorkelling & Thai cooking, tours, etc. Can everything be done from Phanang, just as easily as Samui? Any reason to actually stay on Samui or just do day trips?

How would you compare & contrast Samui & Phanang and other nearby islands?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

As Bottle Beach is in the north of the island and not so easy to get to, it won't be as busy as other parts of the island around Full Moon Party time - you should get a good nights sleep.

Phangan and Samui are very different. Samui is much busier and has more services for tourists, Centrral Chaweng is a tourist mecca with McDonalds, Svensons and other big chains. Phangan doesn't have that feel at all, it is much more laid back (sleepier). You will be able to find cooking schools on Koh Phangan I'm sure and you can do day tours from Phangan the same as from Samui, although they might require a little more effort considering the location of Bottle Beach.

I would recommend at least a day tour to Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan for snorkelling, if not an overnight stay on Koh Tao.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

I booked a reservation at Bottle Beach Resort for 6 nights, June 1-7. I will definately take your welcome advise and visit both of the islands. How long does it take to get to them & by what method? Where would you recommend I stay on Koh Tao?

Koh Phanang sounds like my kind of place, but I would like to go spend some time on Samui to see what all the whoopla is about. Any other suggestions on a rough guide /itinerary for a week? I don't like to rush around to see everything. I am most interested in nature, some adventure like an elephant ride, kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, walking on beaches, cooking, massage,dance, etc.

I will be coming from Banglok (only 3 days there as I will spend 2 more before I return to California.) After Koh Phanang, Samui, etc...I will head to Phuket, Krabi & Thao Lak (spelling?) I don't know where to stay yet ...will have another 7 or 8 days. Any suggestions on accommodations and how to be able to visit these areas that I have heard are awesome?

My last full week will be in Chiang Mai. I don't have any of that worked out yet either..except I will spend several days learning to cook some of the delicious Thai food. That way I can bring a little Thailand home to my friends and family. :)

Just incase I would like to check out a full moon party for a few hours, what one is one of the best? And how easy would it be to get to & fro?

Thanks again for all of your expert advise.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 06:46
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

Lucky you, we arrive at the end of June, so will miss you, but tell Chai the owner or Bee the receptionist that Nigel and Cassy sent you, they will know who you mean : )

If you want to go to the Full Moon Party on 5th June, Chai will be able to organise transport to and from the party, there should be other people going from Bottle Beach 1, but if not there will definitely be people going from Smile Bungalows just down the beach, so you could hitch a ride with them.

I would save the elephant trekking, cooking, dance and more cultural aspects until you get to Chiang Mai, the choice is better and particularly with regard to elephants you will find places that treat their animals better than on Samui (can't say about Phangan). You can do rock climbing and kayaking in Koh Tao, definitely worth spendking a couple of nights there.

Koh Tao is a great places for a couple of nights at least and especially good at that time of year for diving and snorkelling, check out Nang Yuan Island as well.

If you fancy a day away from Bottle Beach get Bee to organise a long tail boat to take you around to Thong Nai Pan Beach, it's a stunning beach and a nice place to have lunch and just hang out.

Just remember that if you plan to go to Phuket, Khao Lak, Krabi etc, it will be monsoon time and although rain can be on and off, the seas tend to be quite rough and can stop you doing anything involving sea transport.

To get to Koh Tao you have to get the ferry from Thong Sala (main port on Phangan). The Lomprayah Ferry is the quickest and takes about 1 1/4 hours, but you will have to allow around an hour to get from Bottle Beach to Thong Sala. Samui is only 30 minutes by Lomprayah Ferry from Koh Phangan.

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/route.htm

You might want to check out Koh Lanta which is further south than Phuket or even Trang (further south again), but very off the beaten track as far as tourism goes, especially compared to Phuket and Krabi.

Do you know where you will stay on Koh Samui yet, are you planning on hitting Central Chaweng (party central) or do you want somewhere a bit quieter? South Chaweng could be a good option as it's a bit quieter than main Chaweng, but you can walk to Central Chaweng in about 20 minutes or catch a local songthaew bus.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

I will let the folks know that Nigel & Cassy referred me. Too bad I will miss you. I looked overLomprayah's web page. I didn't book anything else yet other than Bangkok for 3 days & Phangan for 6 days. Since the weather sounds better at that time of year, I am considering staying a bit longer there & shorten my visit to Krabi, Khao Lak & Phuket. I favor warm, sunny weather & being able to swim & snorkel.

I will take your advise & do the elephant trek & cultural things in Chiang Mai. As far as where to stay on Samui, maybe a beach bungalow in Mae Nam? I would visit, but not sleep in a party town central...Whatever tips you have on accommodations on Samui, Koh Tao & Nangyuan will be appreciated.

Since it will take about 2 1/2 hours to get to the Koh Tao/Nangyuan, I am thinking it may be better to go there & stay for a night on each rather than spent a total of 5 hours going to & fro for the day. What are your thoughts?

I would probably do a day trip to Samui from Phangan. Alos stay a night on Samui, maybe 2 before going to Phuket, etc.

Is it pretty easy to get accommodations for that part of the trip & just wing it? Because it the weather is not good, I may skip a town or 2. I have a week to play with.

Chiang Mai is a definate. I'll be probably posting on that forum for help planning. Any suggestions?

I

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

It will be fine to wait and see what the weather is like as June is low season on the Krabi side, so accommodation won't be a problem. Maenam is much quieter than many other parts of Samui, but I can't recommend accommodation as I've never stayed there, but there are plenty of bungalows along the beach. I would spend a couple of days on Koh Tao and visit Nang Yuan from there as there is only one resort on Nang Yuan and it's expensive.

I am still to visit Chiang Mai this June, so can't give you any tips, but the DE's on the Chiang Mai Forum are very helpful. Don't try to fit too much in as there is a lot to do in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

Excellent advise. So I will stay at Koh Tao, for a couple nights. Which place is best & most economical? Then just go for the day to Nang Yuam. I don't like to spend a lot of money on accommodations as I mostly just sleep there. I get up in the morning early & spend much time exploring or lounging on a beach.

I feel pretty good about waiting to book Phuket/Krabi/Thao Lak later. Do you think it is better to stay in each town 2 nights or stay in 1 & do day trips? I will have a week. if the weather is horrible, I could go to Chiang Mai sooner.

Any tips on accommodations in those areas? I will check more on the other forums, too.

Many thanks.

Mari

Edited: 11 January 2012, 03:22
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

Sairee Beach is the busiest beach on Koh Tao, but probably has the cheapest accommodation options also, would post on that forum to get advice on the accommodation.

It depends what you want to do on the Phuket/Krabi side. Phuket is a full on tourist mecca and is probably the most expensive place in Thailand, so don't expect to find cheap bungalow type accommodation there. Krabi is quieter and you can do most of the same tours from Krabi as you can from Phuket, so out of the two I would choose Krabi. Ao Nang is the main beach area in Krabi, but the beach in Ao Nang isn't that great by Thailand standards, have a look at Railay Beach which is a 30 minute long tail boat ride away from Ao Nang, very pretty beach area with some cheaper accommodation options, rock climbing and kayaking. Make sure you do a tour of Phang Nga Bay, also if you want to go to Phi Phi Island, the journey from Krabi is quicker than from Phuket.

Khao Lak is a quieter option as well, 75 minutes north of Phuket - having never been there I can't really tell you much about it, but if you are into nature you might consider going to Khao Sok National Park (you can stay overnight too).

I wouldn't do 2 nights in each of those areas, would just pick either Phuket or Krabi and hang out there.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for rustic beach hut/bungalow in a quiet & safe area

Thanks again. I will keep reading & posting on a few other forums. Do you know where you be staying yet in Chiang Mai?

In Phuket: beaches, massages, island tour/James Bond,Phang Nga Bay. Yes, Phuket looks very touristy... But there is a reason for that, I'm sure. I would love to visit it at least once before it gets more popular. I don't think it will be too crazy since June is not the busy time of year in Thailand.

From all the pictures that I've looked at, I think Phangan looks awesome, tranquil & unspoiled.

Get answers to your questions about Mae Nam