We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Panwa holiday advice please

Which Cape Panwa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Cape Panwa holiday advice please

Hi all,

Hubby and I are planning on travelling to Phuket mid November for 14 days with our 2 1/2 yo daughter.

At first we were looking at staying around Patong, but in the last couple of days cheap deal has been offered with deals.com.au for $900 for 7 nights at Bel Air Panwa including breakfast, a couple of day trips (elephant ride for 2, explore and shopping trip to phuket town, family pass to aquarium etc) and access to the beach by shuttle.

I've read some bad reviews re Bel Air and was wondering has anyone been there recently, and is it less than 3 star rating as some people have suggested with very poor service!

Basically looking for a nice place to stay, (2 bedroom deal is great with little one), good breakfast (not expecting Masterchef quality, but nice, well presented and fresh), and good service. Have no issues with staff having limited english as we are going to a foreign country after all!

We've chosen to stay away from the hustle and bustle, having a little one, and just to be able to relax, but if wanted to, hubby and bubs can sit by the pool or head down to the beach whilst I get to go shopping in phuket town.

Also after info about tailors / shoe makers in the area, jewellery shop, best markets for tourist shopping, places to eat out for lunch and dinner, cost of meals / drinks, laundry in the area, babysitting suggestions, taxi recommendations, can you hire a car seat for bubs (or is this a bit over the top for a SE Asian holiday), is there a minimart nearby to purchase extra water, drinks, munchies, fresh fruit etc and average prices, exchange places. Been to Bali, Penang, Borneo etc previously so have some experience with SE Asia holidays, but would love all the usual info for 1st time traveller to the area (and first time traveller as a mum with bubs overseas).

Read some info about hilly walk to Panwa village. Is it very hard walk ( say with a pram)?

INFO RE HOTEL required asap as we have to book by Tues morning, but other info can wait!

Sorry for all the questions, but want to have a fantastic and relaxing holiday, especially as this will be the first OS holiday for hubby and the family has had a lot of stresses over the last 2 years.

Thanking all for info in advance,

Tamara.

PS Budget is not extravagant, more on the average side, but if we can get good advice and deals and not be ripped off, means that we can spend extra elsewhere (like shopping!) and it will be very greatly appreciated!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
53 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Panwa holiday advice please

I stayed there a year ago and liked it.

it is more an aprtment hotel, and the rooms vary in quality.

I booked a 1 br room and got a 3br room. Get a room at the top of the buildng as you get an expansive view.

Note that there is not a lot to see and do at Panwa.

Nice and quiet.

By the way, why not book direct and save the fees to the reseller?

You can always do better that way.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Panwa holiday advice please

Hi there

I havent stayed at the Bel Air but looked at the reviews...they are mixed arent they? Definately do not take a pram and walk to CP village...I wouldnt trust Thai traffic to miss me! (no footpaths etc) The Bel Air always seemed rather isolated as I passed in a car...not much around it. But if you want a quiet holiday it might be a deal. CP village is small and quiet but I like it, the usual nice cafes, massage shops, some tailors, supermarket that has a new coffee and ice cream bar etc.

I would go into Phuket town for shopping or Patong. The weekend phuket town night markets are fun. Not much shopping at CP village. Taxis arent cheap 700 to 800 baht from CP to the markets but they do wait several hours for you. At the small cafes prices are 150 to 250 baht a meal, 30 baht for rice, drinks 50 to 100 baht depending what you want. The village has a money exchange and ATM's. cafes I would recommend are sea breeze, tree tops, sawasdee and for indian live india.

Might pay to check out the prices of Kantary bay hotel, I can guarantee great staff, service and breakfast. Plus rave reviews and you get to use everything the sister hotel has to offer, the best part being a lovely private beach. There is also the Radisson in the area that I have seen often has good deals. Just a thought,

If you search the phuket FAQ you will find advice on child seats but I dont think its very positive as its not law in Thailand...in fact kids perched on motor bikes, no helmets etc is normal.

No matter where you stay its a peaceful area nothing like patong...which is fun for a night or day out but not my cup of tea.. and you should get the quiet holiday you are looking for.

Regards

Georgette

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Panwa holiday advice please

Hi Georgette and Mark,

Many thanks for your replies! Before we had Natalie, our 2 1/2 year old, we probably would have stayed around Patong and partied. Now, being 'responsible parents', I much prefer the idea of going on day outings, and maybe a night here or there and then being able to escape back to our quieter hotel location is the best thing!

If anyone has any contacts or recommendations re taxi drivers, babysitters around Panwa, and jewellery shops and specific tailors either in Phuket town or Patong, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Tamara

PS Georgette, since you're the expert on the area, would you mind if I PM you over the next couple of weeks about who you recommend re tailors, taxi contacts, good laundry and massage places and any other crazy things I can think of?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Panwa holiday advice please

No problems at all msg away...will do my best to help.

Georgette

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Panwa holiday advice please

Hi Tam0770

While I know that you have found a deal in the Panwa area, I think it might be a bit too far from anything to be any fun. We are from Melbourne too, and always stay in the Kata Beach area. You are far from the madding crowds of Patong, but can easily walk outside your resort and shop and eat and drink.

It might be worth a look at deals in that area. We just came back last week from our second stay and Kata Palm Resort in a Pool Access Room. It was only $100 per night for really great accommodation, including breakfast, which is pretty reasonable. Feel free to PM if you want more info.

Deb

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Panwa holiday advice please

Hi,

Some taxi drivers local to Cape Panwa

Mr Nu 081 7287372

Mr Sawat Salika 089 5882336

Sorry can not help with a baby sitter .

There is an excellent tailor in Cape Panwa inbetween the Sunset Bar and the Indian Rest which he aslo owns.

For a good cheap massage I like the one half way up the Cape Panwa hill just below James Seafood Sabai massage . Also for a real pamper Sri Panwa Cool Spa is the best I have ever had.

This site is also very good

www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com

Julie

Edited: 30 August 2011, 20:58
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
53 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Panwa holiday advice please

Tam,

for transport, just hire a car. For about $A190 I hired a small but good car from Argus which included insurances. Panwa is quite isolated and good as a base.

It is quite easy to drive around Phuket and the car will take the presswure off you to pay the highly inflated taxi and tuk tuk prices.

I have just got back after a week in Phuket (stayed at the Hilton at Karon this time) and the car gave me a lot more freedom at a low price.

8. Re: Cape Panwa holiday advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 11:17