We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

Which Cape Panwa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

Hi Everyone,

I'm researching our holiday for next year and have read so many forums and reviews my head is ready to explode.

We plan two weeks in October and at this stage think 1 week in Krabi and 1 week at the Cape Panwa Hotel which looks gorgeous.

We want to be away from the hustle and bustle but like to be able to eat at local places rather than being trapped in a resort.

I'm wondering about swimming in the beach at this time of the year. I've read alot about the rips and currents in Kata and Karon beaches and we aren't really pool people. We have two kids, aged 9 and 11 and really want to spend our days swimming at the beach. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks Kate

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

Hi Kate,

You can often swim most of the year round in Cape Panwa and also at nearby Ao Yon as the seas on this eastern side of the island are sheltered and calm. Tide times are posted in the hotel. Especially with children check with the sports staff at the beach.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

hi at panwa you can only swim at high tide as the coral is exposed at low tide to make it impossible to swim anywhere along panwa beach.please remember that all the pictures shown of panwa beach are very deceptive it actually takes less than 4 minutes to walk the whole beach at cape panwa between the jetty and where the sri panwa hotel is at the other end.

have you thought about khao lak much better beaches with more to do with out being over the top.khao lak is probably phuket 25 years ago before mass tourism took over.

South Australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

Hi there,

Khao Lak was actually my first choice but when I looked at a few sites they said the beach was not suitable for swimming until November. We are hoping to go last two weeks of October and wondered whether this meant we would be there and not be able to swim at the beach at all?

I know with climates changing around the world nothing seems to be set in concrete anymore but I wondered if it was a hard and fast rule that maybe beaches would be closed or just too rough in October?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Khao Lak seemed to be more our sort of place but we aren't really into resort pools and want to use the beach.

thanks so much!

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

replied on the khao lak forum to your question

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

I agrees with NB1...!!!...Khao Lak is wonderful and definitely a lot quieter than Patong at least....Tho' possibly as quiet as Panwa.....

There are in fact swimming spots on a couple of beaches in Khao Lak....

I have surfed Khao Lak twice,a month at a time and surf all the known surf beaches,reefs and points.....

The beaches on the north side of Cape Pakarang do have surf but because of swell direction,Cape Pakarang protects these beaches from direct surf/waves...Therefore not great for surfboards....

The beaches in front of Le Meridien,The Sarojin and Haadson Resort are just a few places to stay where it is possible to swim at the beach with less fear from rips and currents....

HR is my choice tho' this area(including LeM and Sarojin) is quite remote being about a half hour from the main town of Bang La On.....But then Panwa/Phuket is also quite remote....

The beaches being White Sand or Pak Weeb and Bang Sak....BTW...White Sand beach is absolutely gorgeous...some of the prettiest beaches of Khao Lak within this area.....

Having said this tho',it is still very important to keep an eye on the kids whilst they're swimming at the beach....

South Australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

Thanks everyone, looks like Khao Lak is now on the list, although JW Marriott is the one that appeals to us the most but seems to be the roughest part of the beach.....back to researching! Will check out the Haadson, Le Meridien looked to busy and The Sarojin too expensive.

Thanks for your help, all very much appreciated, cheers, Kate

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

Hi Kate,

You are correct, Phuket’s south western winds blow from May to October, making the seas on the west coast quite rough. However, I'm happy to confirm the private 300 metre beach at Cape Panwa Hotel is perfect for year round swimming because the seas on the east coast, especially at the Cape Panwa Hotel beach, are sheltered and calm during this period. Tidal charts are supplied to all guests to ensure you can plan the best time to swim.

By the way, there are plenty of local shops and restaurants near Cape Panwa Hotel, including Panwa Village and the new Cafe Kantary.

Finally, if you do end up going to Khao Lak, I'd suggest checking out the reviews of Kantary Beach Hotel & Villas, Khao Lak. The location is one of the nicest in the area and hotel guests have access to a beautiful 500 metre beach.

If you have any questions or if you need further help with planning your holiday, please feel free to contact us directly at online_com@kasemkij.com.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

The Kantary as Kasemkij suggested is also on the north side of Pakarang tho' closer to the cape than Meridien,HR and Sarojin.....

Within this bay near the Kantary,long tail boats are anchored because the waters here are much calmer so much safer for open beach swimming...

And yes...The beach directly out front of JWM cops the full force of direct swells coming in from the Andaman....Tho' waves are not always high and rough but to play it safe,it's best to stay north of Pakarang for ocean swimming...

Just a tip : There are wonderful small restaurants within walking distance of Haadson Resort on Bang Sak Beach which offer wonderful meals and the actual dining can be done in their cute bamboo gazebos which line the side of the road gazing thru the trees at the beach and ocean....Wonderful experience...!!....

South Australia
Level Contributor
270 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

Thanks all for your advice. Have researched and read so many reviews and forums my head is spinning! After a week in Krabi and Koh Lanta we think we are going to go with Cape Panwa Hotel. We want to be closer to the airport and it just feels like Cape Panwa is the sort of place we will enjoy. Might have to put Khao Lak down for the following year!

Thanks again everyone!

Bangkok
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Panwa in October - safe for swimming?

Hi Kate,

Ao On Beach is Perfect for nice and relaxing days at the beach. The waves are very mild and Ideal for safe and relaxed swimming. The Bel Air Resort and Spa - Panwa has a access to the Private strip of the beach and runs shuttles every hour to and from the resort. The drive is about 10 mins.

Cape Panwa is a nice rustic place to take in the local culture, some complain it is too quiet. But if you are looking for a laid back family holiday. It is perfect.