We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange

High Wycombe...
2 posts
Save Topic
Money exchange

I have seen that the best exchange rate that I have found here in the UK for Thai Baht is 45 baht to £1.00. Does anybody know where can I get a better rate? I have read that it is better to wait until you get to Thailand and then exchange your cash there. Is this true? Thanks x

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money exchange

Yes always a better rate once there. Google" exchange rates Siam bank " or Bangkok bank, and you will get an idea of the rate there

Currently Siam bank says 46.055 it adds up by the time you cash all your money and there's no fees on top.

Bangkok bank says 46.11

Michelle

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money exchange

You want to make sure if that 45 rate is buy or sell (or mid rate). The xe mid-market rate is 46.6. Usually there is quite a spread and I would not have thought you would get 45 baht for £1.00 when buying baht in the UK. If you can get that rate, you may as well change a few pounds so you have cash on landing.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money exchange

Change your money in Thailand.

Rate for pound at the moment is 46.5 baht

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money exchange

Do you need to take sterling cash or are there ATM s near the Kantary Bay? Thanks

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money exchange

The money changers in Phuket work on a very narrow spread between buying and selling and don't add any commission or fees on top so the rates you will obtain there are really sharp. Larger denominations of newish banknotes are preferred. Even the rate at Phuket Airport is not much different so if you need cash for ground transport just change a small amount on arrival.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money exchange

you can also check the rate from TMB Bank (blue color), i just compared yesterday, the rate is also good.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money exchange

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if there are ATM s near the Kantary Bay?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money exchange

Don't change money at the TMB kiosks at BKK airport. Go down to the airport train link level and use the Kasikornbank kiosk. But don't change too much, as you'll get a better rate in town.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money exchange

Changing money in the destination country doesn't always work in your favour, and we got bitten recently.

I changed £200 into US$ at Thos Cook where I live on 15 February, and got US$1.55.

When we got to Phnom Penh on 6 March the best rate I could get for cash (Canadia Bank) was US$1.48, and a few days later in Siem Reap it was US$1.4630.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money exchange

Exchange rates do fluctuate depending on the markets ...