We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ASC hotel?!

Which Shanzu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best ASC hotel?!

I have read the reviews on these hotels, and to me the Dolphin seems the best.

I cannot and willnot in the near future be able to spend 2-3 thousand pounds on a holiday of that sort so am happy to not expect much from these hotels, iv been to Sri Lanka and i imagine it may be similar.

Anyway im prepared for the worst, but would just like an idea on the best time of year (for animals mainly) but not too hot where i struggle when on safari.

Many thanks guys!

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

I am sure you will get some advice from an ASC devotee but your question is about the same as asking which it would be better to catch - Typhoid or Cholera.

Having been to Sri Lanka I think you will find the Hotels there are much better than ASC.

Sorry to be negative.

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

Really! Ok, i am not expecting much and we are willing to "slum" it for a while just for the experiance of the safari...wont be able to have it other wise as we would never afford it! Thank you for your input!

wales uk
Level Contributor
491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

Hi There

We spent a great 2 weeks in the Flamingo Hotel last september and the food was excellent, the room spotless and fully airconditioned 24/7 and cleaned daily with plenty of free bottled wayer and our only complaint could have been that ths shower water was salty.

I know lots and lots of posters have had bad experiences with ASC but for what we payed it was a great holiday.

Hope this helps

All the best

Jason

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

i know some people dont seem to have a problem with asc but what westwoodboy said i would agree. i know for sure that one of there hotels is no longer open. i,m afraid its the old story you get what you pay for. while i understand about the money i understand some people book asc for say£350 then stay at another hotel. hope thats not to depressing

rhys

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

Jenjen, with respect, please do yourselves (and Kenya's reputation) a favour, and avoid ASC. There are plenty of ways of doing Kenya on a budget that leave some money in the country. As rhys suggests, you might use the ASC flight and stay in an alternative hotel.

Richard

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

isn't 'Best ASC Hotel' an oxymoron ? (OK - maybe not exactly but you get my drift)

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

Ok, thank you for all ur help, il see if I can get anything roughly the same price (any suggestions welcome!), good idea about the flights...many thanks!!!

enfield&ugunja
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

Hi Jen jen if you give people an idea of your budget for the holiday people will be able to give you an idea of where you can save money on your holiday

uk
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

jenjenf21

i see only half of your question has been answered and not" when is best time to go" so may be you can get an answer on that !!!

as for asc go with your feelings as you say you havnt got the money to spalsh out and Richard has said there are other ways of doing kenya on a budget so maybe he can come up with some for you ??

England
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best ASC hotel?!

As others have said, avoid ASC. Bear in mind that ASC's ticket prices do not include park entry fees which bump up the price by a several hundred and put the price on a level with other holidays that at first view are apparently more expensive.

Kuoni curently have some very good offers in Kenya - their Cheetah safari is good value at £1400 and offers a far wider variety of experience than the lASC offerings as you visit the Samburu in the north, the Rift Valley and the Masai Mara.

Get answers to your questions about Shanzu