We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling from the beach

lincolnsire
2 posts
Save Topic
snorkelling from the beach

Is there any worthwhile snorkelling to be done at shanzu beach? If a boat trip is needed to find good snorkelling sites what is recommended and approx how much will it cost?

Thanks!

Mombasa Kenya
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling from the beach

yes. check lamarina-restaurant.com/dhow%20adventure.html and if you have any problem contacting them let me know. cost depends from which hotel you will be staying at and if its around bamburi beach its is USD$104 for a full day excursion

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling from the beach

Hi,

I'm not snorkeller but I suspect there is little meaningful snorkelling to be done off the beach as the beaches tend to be shallow and scoured coral. From most beaches you can get a glass bottomed boat out to the reef a few hundred metres off the beach (the reef runs all the way from Somalia down to Tanzania). The reef is a National Park so you have to pay a fee and where the boat can moor is strictly controlled

For info La Marina referred to aboveis about 3 miles away on the other side of Mtwapa Creek. The Moorings floating restaurant also on Mtwapa Creek also does dhow trips (smaller dhow). They both offer pick up and drop off service

lincolnsire
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling from the beach

thanks guys!

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling from the beach

I stayed at the Reef Hotel, Nyali Beach last December and snorkelled for free at low tide about 200 metres out front of the hotel. I saw loads of fish including Puffer Fish an Angel Fish. All you need to do is be careful of the Sea Urchins whose spikes are extremely sharp and painful and managed to penetrate my rubber diving boots. Take a little bread and the gorgeous fish will come towards you to feed. Truly an amazing experience.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkelling from the beach

....................look out for the Marine police they have started their patrols you have to pay $10 for the priviledge of snorkelling inside the reef....

6. Re: snorkelling from the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Shanzu