We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanzu paradise hotel

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shanzu paradise hotel

Hi, does anybody know if the Shanzu Paradise hotel is open as planned on the 7th november...

Thanks

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

Not open!!

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

Thats strange AFC advised it would be open on the 7th.. wonder whats going on ??

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,546 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

probably still not got enough customers to warrant it, I understand they've been re-routing people to their other hotels in Shanzu

(and apparently they have still not paid their electricity bills as they are still on generators)

Edited: 12 November 2010, 11:48
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

I'm not going till Aug and i emailed AFC about my concerns and they assured me that all the staff have been paid and the electricity bill has been paid too. After reading some of the reviews i have to say i have a few worries about this holiday..but i cant wait to visit Kenya, i will probably have a fab time and just go with the flow, just hope the hotel re-opens or they find me another...

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,546 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

Hi,

ASC has another couple of hotels in Shanzu, as I said they have been putting guests in the other hotels. If you go back a page or two on the forum you will see a post by BigJay who posted that he had a great holiday there but no mains electricity

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

Thanks for that, AFC have said to me that due to the unrest in Kenya in 2008 many hotels closed and staff wages had to be reduced but are now sorted, and many hotels had to close down in Kenya. Just wondering if other hotels run off generators or is it just AFC hotels.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,546 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

Hi,

No - all the other hotels here at the coast have mains electricity with generators for back up as we get a lot of power cuts here, so most hotels, bigger shops, and bigger bars have generators that cut in when the power goes of but ASC (btw its ASC not AFC, it stands for African Safari Club) has had its power permanently disconnected for non-payment of bills - so they run on generators all the time - but as BigJay said they have to turn the generators off 3 times a day to let them cool down

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

Thanks again, If its only turned off 3 times I suppose it wont affect me to much as I tend to explore whilst on holiday and not stay round the hotel very much. And after searching other tour operators I cant find the same holiday any cheaper. I wonder if ASC will ever pay the electric bill, its still quite some time before we go. I will keep searching for a better deal because some of the reviews are very negative. Thanks again..

chepstow
Level Contributor
152 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

Hi we stayed at the flamingo beach (ASC), retrurned at the end of Oct, ASC assured e that all was well like they have told you, same coments. All the other hotels in the area are on mains electricty, if you don't mind not sleeping at night as no A/C then fine, also toilets not flushing as water is pumped. I was very concerned regarding hygene as how can staff wash hands after using the toilet (a bottle of water by the sinks in public toilets is not good enough), staff told me when electric is off they fill a sink with water before hand to wash the dishes !!!!!! how do they keep the food at a constant temperature in the refrigerators when electric is off, we only had breakfast there as we were very concerned about the evening meals, so dinned out every evening. ASC when i complained just palmed me off with that nobody else had complained !! so don't believe all they tell you I believed them and ended up very unhappy, we payed full price too, so we did not get value for money, if you want more details please ask.

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shanzu paradise hotel

I booked this hotel for 13th December at the last minute. I go with an open mind having stayed at the Reef Hotel last year which overall I enjoyed very much. If it is still closed then having read about the Flamingo and Dolphin Hotels, I think I will manage. Will report on my return !! Surely it's got to be better than -15C or so in the UK...... LOL

Get answers to your questions about Shanzu