We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African Safari Club cease trading

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
African Safari Club cease trading

We had booked to stay at the Dolphin Hotel this April through African Safrai Club.

However after reading so many bad reviews on this site and because ASC changed our flights not once but twice we decided to cancel our holiday just 6 weeks ago.

Thank goodness we did as I have just heard that yesterday they ceased trading.

I feel very sorry for those not so lucky as us - we have only lost our £200 deposit and were able to book a holiday to Kenya through a different travel company. Others will have lost their long awaited holiday and take months recovering any money.

Thank you fellow tripadvisors!

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
9 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: African Safari Club cease trading

Yes, I just found out about this, and I was due to go in three weeks time. Now trying to get my money back. What a shame as I was so looking forward to it.

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: African Safari Club cease trading

Hope it won't be too much of a hassle for you - and that you can then book another holiday. We re-booked through COSMOS to the Diani Sea Resort. We go in two weeks - can't wait. It has some very good reviews on here - unlike the Dolphin! We were promised our deposit back but I don't suppose we'll see that now. We count ourselves lucky only to have lost £208!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,017 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: African Safari Club cease trading

roo. If you paid by Credit Card you can claim on the CC for not delivering the goods purchased. Debit Card or Cheque and the money has gone!

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: African Safari Club cease trading

Yes, thanks, I know that. Thank goodness it was only £200 - we were 10 days away from paying the balance!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,017 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: African Safari Club cease trading

Bummer. How was the Travel Insurance?

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: African Safari Club cease trading

Debit Card can give same guarantee as Credit Card if it is VISA, according to my bank.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: African Safari Club cease trading

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Sacked+hotel+staff+awarded+Sh50m+/-/1056/1152806/-/jrxnkhz/-/index.html

maidstone kent
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: African Safari Club cease trading

have read that story, but believe it goes back to 2003

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,183 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: African Safari Club cease trading

Hi Rhys,

yes the case goes back to an incident in 2003, but the justice system is notoriously slow here so the case has only just been heard, in the mean time they carried on with impunity (a common word here).

The sad thing is that as ASC are now bankrupt they will just join the list of creditors and are pretty unlikely to see the money unless the government sequesters it from the money from the sale of the hotels

Reply to: African Safari Club cease trading
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shanzu