We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

We will be staying a month in Barbados, in the Spreightstown / Port St. Charles area. Since we will be living on a budget we are planning to enjoy lots of home cooked meals. I know that a lot of produce is imported and quite expensive, so I am hoping to incorporate a fair amount of inexpensive local produce. Aside from sweet potatoes and potatoes and ocra, which other produce can I expect to find that won't cost an arm and a leg? I know we can buy reasonably priced fish from the market just north of Port St. Charles.

Also, can someone direct me as to where I can find out which food items I am allowed to bring with me from Canada ? ( Nuts? dried legumes etc?) I would like to start planning, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

Local produce:

Yams, squash, locally grown lettuce, tomatoes,maybe green peppers, onions, bananas and the smaller version that Barbadians call figs, cucumbers. Depending when you're there, mangos and golden apples. Locally raised chicken, lamb.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

As for bringing in dried legumes, I wouldn't bother, you can purchased that in the grocery store.

You might to check out this site:

www.foreign.gov.bb/pageselect.cfm?page=115

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

You might like to read a post by Bluesea, she stopped in Barbados for 3 months last Winter and her diary had lots of great information about buying food and home cooking whilst she was there.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k41…

We have bought coffee and tea and some dried goods in the past with us, things we thought we wouldn't get easily at the Supermarket, or not the brand we like. As longs as it isn't plants, dairy or meat I believe you would be ok, so nuts etc would be fine.

Some things are more expensive, others similar to home, you can check by using the Supercentre link which Chrisky gave you.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

Avacados and guavas are 1n season at the moment. Guavas mace lovely ju1ce. Half Moon fort near you sells yummy food at reasonably pr1ces 1f you don't want to cooc and also F1sherman's Pub!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

thanks for all your answers, I will make note of it!

We will be in Barbados from mid January to mid February.

Chrisky, where do you buy locally raised chicken and lamb? We were there last year at the same time, asked a relative who moved there recently, he had no idea ( eats out a lot, or cooks from cans, we dont!), he took us to the supermarket ( A&P?), very expensive!

butterflysue1, where is Half Moon?

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

If you can get some breadfruit you can treat it like a potato and make breadfruit chips/fries by cutting it into pieces similar in shape to a pineapple piece (rather than a French fry shape) and deep frying. Add a little local pepper sauce to some ketchup on the side.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,145 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

The chicken in the stores is local. In the grocery store look at the lamb and it will be indicated if it's from somewhere else. ex. New Zealand, US etc. otherwise it's local.

As for food prices they definitely are more expensive than in Toronto as most of it is imported plus there's a VAT tax included on most items. Some items though are comparable in price.

Since you're staying for a month it might be worthwhile to get a card from Pricemart up in Warrens, it's like a Costco. The card is inexpensive and the food prices are a bit less expensive.

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

So hardly any local fruit choices, right?

Would Half Moon Fort be in walking distance from Port St. Charles? How does the food there compare to Fisherman's Pub?

Re: food prices in Barbados being higher because they are imported, I sort of get this. Still, a can of coconut milk is in Toronto 1/3 of the price I paid in Barbados, the same with Pineapple, Papaya etc. etc. , all of which have to be imported to Toronto as well.

Same story for Aruba, where we were two years ago. The prices in Aruba were just slightly higher than in Toronto.

Don't want to come across as a complainer, as we do love Barbados. We just have to find a way to make it affordable.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

There are loads of local fru1t cho1ces - D1d you no grapefru1ts were d1scovered 1n Barbados 1st!!! We grow bananas l1mes lemons oranges guavas star fru1t sugar apples golden apples custard apples soursop f1gs (banana fam1ly) planta1ns duncs acc1es sea grapes mangos shaddocs planta1ns tangar1nes coconuts papayas. The way to f1nd 1t affordable 1s to shop at local marcets such as cheaps1de or palmetto street and also buy what 1s actually 1n season at the t1me of your v1s1t!! Enjoy!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which local fruit and vegetables for home cooking ??

thanks butterflysue1, very enlightening! Did not know this about grapefruit!

We did buy local limes, lemons, and small bananas and plantain last year from street vendors in Spreightstown. Also papaya, but don't know if these were local.

We will be in Barbados again from mid January to mid February. What will be in season then?

What are sea grapes ?

Where is cheaps1de or palmetto street ?

Get answers to your questions about Saint Peter Parish