We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacationing in Barbados - First time

Hoffman Estates
Level Contributor
283 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Vacationing in Barbados - First time

Hi folks,

Hubby and I are looking for a new vacation destination. One of the places being considered is Barbados. We have never been and so I am just now beginning my search and hoping for help with some questions I have. As far as hotels, we are interested in the more luxury type hotels.

1. Looking to be on beach on the "calm side" which I understand is the west side, No clue which beaches we should be looking at with regard to hotel choice.

2. Where is the St. Lawrence Gap and is that a good beach location?

3. What are the typical temperatures/weather conditions in mid April to end of May? Or are we better of looking for December for optimal weather?

4. Hotel recommendations? Really looking at 4 & 5 star hotels only.

So basically in a nutshell, want a GREAT hotel at a GREAT beach at the BEST time of year to go! Isn't that what we all want??? LOLOL

I'd truly appreciate any advice!

Thanks!!!

Hoffman Estates
Level Contributor
283 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

Oh I think I should also mention, I was reading reviews and looking at pictures at the Ocean 2 (I think that's what it is called) and it looks WONDERFUL. So I guess if anyone can provide insights/opinions on the hotel/area/beach there I'd love it!!!

Thanks again!

London
Level Contributor
472 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

The Ocean 2 is on the South Coast which we prefer to the West Coast as its more 'breezy' and the beaches are stunningly lovely with white sand and pale turquoise ocean. The ocean around the West Coast is a lot calmer (usually) and just as lovely but in a different way, the sand is very pale beige and the sea a deep kingfisher blue - just beautiful. Take a look at Nicky Boy's wonderful website Beaches of Barbados to see how diverse and gorgeous the beaches around Barbados are! I often look at it and sigh wistfully! My favourite South Coast beach is Sandy Beach in Worthing and my favourite beach on the West Coast in Gibbs. I haven't stayed at Ocean 2 myself, we always stay at Coral Sands Hotel in Worthing, but it gets good reviews on here. The Sandpiper Hotel on the West Coast looks adorable, take a look at the reviews here on Tripadvisor for another good option.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

Hi, in answer to your questions. The West Coast is normally calm but in the winter months you can see some sea swells which cause waves some days. December or April-May would both be good times to visit. I find December slightly more comfortable in the evenings when going out as although it is still warm it isn't as humid as it can be in April/May. I would take a look at the Sandpiper as KikLondon suggested and also the Fairmont Royal Pavilion. The beach is lovely at the Fairmont.

North Bay
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

Depending on your budget you might want to have a look at the Sapphire Beach condos on Dover Beach in the Gap. It is located on a nice stretch of beach and close to many restaurants in the Gap.

northbay

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

I will second the recommendation for Sapphire Beach Condos. They're simply beautiful. We stayed in a 2 bed 2 bath unit last July and I just can't wait for the opportunity to go back there again. You are right on Dover Beach and the view from the huge balcony is stunning. Impeccably decorated, spotless, gorgeous kitchen and gigantic master bathroom. You can lie in bed in the master bedroom and watch the ocean. I want to be there soooooo badly, lol:) The location is right at the end of the Gap, so you're not dealing with noisy part goers at night, but it's walking distance to everything. I can't think of a single negative, except for the fact that I'm not there:)

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

Loved Sapphire Beach:)

Ontario
Level Contributor
720 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

Ocean 2 is new and very, very nice BUT the beach there isn't good for swimming and the sand can be a bit coarse in spots. There are two gryones directly in front of the hotel and the water can be fairly rough. It's not uncommon to see kite surfers, kite boarders and surfers along this stretch. That being said, just a 2 minute walk along the beach and you're at Dover Beach where the Sapphire Beach Condos are located. Dover beach is beautiful. Some waves but nothing that's going to knock you over - most days.

Sapphire Beach Condos are just condos, no restaurants or bars on site though located very close to a wide variety of both. Ocean 2 has a couple bars and restaurants, a very up-scale pool area and a nice rooftop bar.

I would suggest having a looking at Southern Palms if you would like to be on Dover Beach.

Based on your criteria, I think you'd be happier on the West Coast.

As for time of year...I think April/May has a slight edge over December...at least that has been my experience. That being said - it will still be lovely in December - or any month for that matter.

Enjoy Barbados!

Edited: 28 March 2014, 22:24
South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

We have stayed a few times at O2 and its a great hotel in a good location with plenty of bars and restaurants close by . The ocean in front can be a bit choppy but its great for bobbing around in . There's a much calmer beach a couple of hundred yards away .the condos are privately owned but are run on a hotel let basis . To put things in perspective how good they are - a two bed suite was upwards of $700,000 USD when they were first put on the market around three years ago . They are top quality .

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

This post is from 2013...would imagine OP already been on hols.

Ontario
Level Contributor
720 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacationing in Barbados - First time

lol You're right UK...hate when that happens.

Get answers to your questions about Dover
Recent Conversations