We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

London, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Topic
Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

Hi there. This will be my first time to Barbados and first non- all inclusive. A group of girls are going and I had a few questions. Any other tidbits or advice are also very welcome!

We are lucky enough to have a penthouse at Sapphire Beach. So some of my questions are:

1 - Are the restaurants in the area really expensive? Any favourite places? I like a variety of food, but love seafood. :)

2 - The beach. Apparently you need to rent loungers and umbrellas? Any idea of the cost? Is the beach good for snorkelling, or more for boogie boards, or neither?

3 - Any excursions or places to go or see that people love?

4 - We are going early-mid November. I believe this might be part of hurricane season. I have never gone anywhere this time of year. Any personal experiences on weather and what can generally be expected.

Thanks in advance! :)

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

1. There are many eating options in walking distance which cover all budgets and tastes so you have no problem there. If you love fish and seafood then head to Oistins on either a Friday or Saturday evening and join in the fun, though you can buy fresh fish there any day of the week.

2. I think Sapphire have their own loungers round the pool which of course you wouldn't pay for. Not sure if they let you take them on the beach but you could rent from around 10-15 BBD per day per bed. The beach is lovely. Not ideal for snorkelling but usually calm enough for swimming at the end near Sapphire and boogie boards further along.

3. Take a look at the pinned post at the top of this forum .. there is loads of information there and there is loads to do to suit everyone.

4. Technically the hurricane season but most likely a few showers. It'll be hot and maybe humid.

Have a great holiday.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 21:02
London, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

Thanks Almatt! I didn't see any pinned post or FAQs. I was in Dover forums. I only now just saw a pinned post in Barbados forums. I appreciate your help. :)

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

Ah yes you can only see that if you are on the Barbados "home" forum page which is a pity because I think that means some people miss it. Lots of useful information there though with lots of links. Do come back if you gave any more questions though.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

Luvsthebeach......you cannot take lounges from Sapphire Beach onto Dover Beach. You can rent a lounge with mattress from Tiger/Kenny for $5 bdos. Lots of places to eat, some expensive some pretty reasonable. Their are stalls at Dover Beach that sell drinks and food. At Daddy's you can get a burger and fries for $12 bdos.

As Almatt said, the beach isn't the best for snorkeling but people do it. Sometimes it's quite calm and sometimes it's quite rough.

Rain or shine, it's always warm in Barbados and you will have a great time either way.

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
997 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

Hi Randr

I'm staying at Southern Palms, where is Daddy's from there

Kim

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

Turn right as you leave Southern Palms. You'll see the little stalls including Daddy's in a market area opposite Dover playing field. It's only a couple of hundred yards away.

PS Thats very cheap sunbed rental!

Edited: 29 August 2014, 07:47
Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

Try Harlequin restaurant up the Gap, really good food about a 10 minute stroll away. Champers restaurant is a must do also.

Have a day trip on Jammin catamaran for a fun day out.

Go on a tour of the Island for the day, there is so much interesting things to see.

Right next to you condo on Dover beach is Johnny Cools bar / eatery who does fresh fish every day and some great cocktails.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

kimpeter, Just adding to Almatt's reply - if you have your back to the sports pitch you will see two hut's facing you, you can't miss it. He does flying fish cutters and fries for about $12 !

London, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

I am assuming the market is close? Silly question but due to a health issue, I need to use fat free milk for my tea. Any idea if that sort of thing is available? I guess I need a more traditional grocery store.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sapphire Beach November 2014 questions for first timer

Yes you will be able to get fat free milk in Barbados. I think you'll get some from Dover Market which is a small store - turn right out of Sapphire and it's not too far away on the opposite side of the road. If they don't stock it then you will get some from the larger stores in Oistins or Worthing. Not sure if Sapphire offer a service whereby they stock your apartment with items you pre order? Worth asking.

Get answers to your questions about Dover
Recent Conversations