We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bbd or usd

UK
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
bbd or usd

We will be staying B & B in a hotel and will be eating out at local food places most of the time, is it better to take BBD or USD? thank you

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bbd or usd

Take some USD with you (the rate for BBD bought in the UK isn't usually very good). USD will be fine to spend in Barbados - you get your change in BBD.

We use ATMs when we are in Barbados to get BBD cash (check with your bank they don't apply high charges though). We usually take some Sterling cash too to change into BBD in the bank in Barbados which gives you a slightly better rate. Sterling travellers cheques are slightly better still. You can also use credit cards in shops, restaurants etc and Visa debit cards are widely accepted also. Other option is the pre paid cards to get cash out of the ATMs .... I haven't tried those yet though but think they are a probably a good option.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bbd or usd

SharonbHewett

Definitely do not purchase BBD in the UK. The rates are poor compared to what you can get here. Purchase USD and bring along GBP to change in the local banks as well as your credit/debit cards.

Regards

birmingham
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: bbd or usd

we arrive Friday afternoon about 6pm so is it possible to get money exchanged over on a Saturday in Barbados or do banks close satudays

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bbd or usd

Closed on Saturdays - you'd need to use the ATMs.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bbd or usd

Some hotels will exchange for you, but the rate probably wouldn't be great. I'd bring enough USD to get through the weekend.

birmingham
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: bbd or usd

yeah we are changing some for the weekend as we are goin horse racing on the Saturday, are there any atms close to butterfly beach do you no

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bbd or usd

You'll need to go into Oistins or The Gap for an ATM or you could use one at the airport (not in arrivals hall but after you have your bags and have passed through Customs).

birmingham
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bbd or usd

ok cheers

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bbd or usd

b34blues

All banks are not closed on Saturdays in Barbados as certain First Citizen's Bank branches are open on Saturdays. Read the Banks & Money section which I've compiled on Barbados.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147262-s601/Barbados…

<The commercial banks currently in operation on the island are as follows: CIBC First Caribbean International Bank, Republic Bank (Barbados) Ltd, First Citizen's Bank (Barbados) Ltd, Scotiabank and the RBC Royal Bank.

Banks are located in all major town centres including Speighstown, Holetown/Sunset Crest, Bridgetown, Warrens, Six Roads and Oistins. There are also banks in other important areas such as Black Rock, Hastings, Worthing and Rendevous. There is a full service Republic Bank branch at the Grantley Adams International Airport, opposite the US Airways check-in counter.

Normal banking hours are from 0800hrs until 1500hrs, Monday to Thursday and 0800hrs until 1700hrs on Fridays. There are however a few exceptions. For example, First Citizens Bank at Super Centre JBs and Super Centre Big B, both in Christ Church, are open from 1000hrs until 1900hrs Monday to Thursday, 1000hrs until 2000hrs on Friday and 1000hrs until 1500hrs on Saturdays.

ATMs and ABMs are 24hrs and are dispersed all over the island. VISA and MasterCards are accepted widely. American Express is not widely excepted on the island. (because they charge the retailer higher fees than other credit cards).

Walking with your credit/debit cards is always a good idea for emergencies and if you prefer them to cash. Just be sure to check with your bank as it relates to user fees etc. >

I would suggest bringing along some USD, but feel free to change the GBP on Saturday since you are on the South Coast. Super Centre Big B where First Citizens is located is only 10 minutes drive from Butterfly Beach. The nearest ATM to Butterfly Beach is the one at the CIBC First Caribbean International Bank in Oistins.

Regards

Edited: 23 July 2013, 01:40
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bbd or usd

Ah yes BGI I had forgotten, although the vast majority of banks don't open on Saturday, that the FC one in the Supercentre at Worthing does. I must remember that for changing cash into BBD ---- I have to say though that I have tried to use the FC ATM there but it doesn't seem to like my Visa Debit card (never had a problem with other banks' ATMs in Barbados). I think it doesn't accept Visa debit, just Mastercard debit cards?? The Supercentre itself, though, does accept Visa debit which I find very convenient.

Get answers to your questions about Oistins
Recent Conversations