We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plugs and voltage

Wrexham
1 post
Save Topic
plugs and voltage

Are the plugs the same as we use in the U.K. or do I need to purchase adaptors?

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: plugs and voltage

You will need an adaptor and remember the voltage in the Caribbean is generally lower.

warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: plugs and voltage

You need the USA flat pin type adapators.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: plugs and voltage

You can purchase an adaptor at the airport.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: plugs and voltage

It depends where you are staying - some accommodations have the UK 3 pin plugs, but as the others have said, it's generally the US style 2 flat pin plugs.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
713 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: plugs and voltage

Even if you take a US adaptor the current means everything will run much much slower - like, 24 hours to charge a mobile phone, hairdryer ran so slow it wasn't worth using etc, so bear that in mind!

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: plugs and voltage

Hmmm strange one to me because when i charge my phone up it takes about 4 - 5 hours max. Cannot comment on the hair dryer situation because i ain't got no hair !

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: plugs and voltage

Most phones, tablets, laptops and other personal electronics these days are equipped with multi-voltage adapters. So if the plug itself matches, or you use a plug adapter, the charging rate will be the same.

Dual-voltage hair dryers or other similar devices will also work well. But if you take a 220v UK hair dryer and just slap a plug on it, then it won't get hot enough and the motor will run slowly.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: plugs and voltage

As Bpfife says,ipads, ipods,phones,cameras etc will run same as UK with an adapter alone.

Unless dual voltage however, hairdyers, hair straightners, mossie plug ins etc wont work efficiently.

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: plugs and voltage

The voltage is 110V, American style 2 pin flat plug, you will need an adaptor. Most computer power supplies, phone, Ipod charges aetc. are all multi voltage these days and will work on 110V and 230V. Hairdryers, as mentioned, will not work as well on half the voltage.

10. Re: plugs and voltage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Oistins
Recent Conversations