We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

Avon
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

Hi all,

Could someone let us know the best way to get from Barbados airport to Halcyon Palm in Holetown please. Are buses reliable and regular? We are traveling with a baby of 11mths and will have a car seat so taxi is an option: Please let us know how much this should be.

Also, and apologies in advance if this is a silly question: How abundant are baby products on the island and are they vastly overpriced? I am thinking of nappies and baby milk since they are quite bulky and heavy to take with us.

If anyone could recommend baby friendly eateries in the Holetown area or activities where we can bring our little one without any problems that would also be a bonus.

Many thanks in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Halcyon Palm
Halcyon Palm
139 Reviews
Barbados
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
11 replies to this topic
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

I would take a taxi too much hassle by bus with luggage, baby etc,

There is a Super Centre close by where you can get all your baby stuff I would bring my own baby powder.

There are plenty of eateries in Holetown where your baby will be made welcome, Zaccios, Just Grillin, Surfside and many more.

The cost of a taxi would be around 60 Bajan dollars but the despatcher at the airport will give you a ticket with the price in Bajan dollars on it.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 13:37
Mentioned in this post
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
15,111 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

Baby stuffs available at Supercentre /Knights Pharmacy - shopping centre in Holetown - no idea of cost (have never needed to buy) -

most restaurants have high chairs - Zaccios is very family friendly (right on the beach so sand available to play in while waiting for dinner to be served if necessary - suggest a side order of mac pie - always a hit with small ones)

Yes buses are available, frequent and inexpensive - But do *Not* suggest it from airport - taxi! Dispatcher will tell you exact fare at airport - but as Halcyon Palm is in the Sunset Crest residential area - suggest bringing a stroller as you will have a fair walk to the beach and "downtown" Holetown.

Mentioned in this post
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
Halcyon Palm
Halcyon Palm
139 Reviews
Barbados
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,567 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

Firstly , if I was travelling to Barbados with an 11month old child, the last transport I would consider from the Airport to my Hotel after a close to 9 hour journey would be the bus ! Taxis are freely available at the Airport, just go to the Taxi Dispatcher desk and he will give you a note with the correct price to your destination in Barbados Dollars --------------------should be approx. 60 BDS to Holetown depending on the amount of people and luggage in your party.

There are literally hundreds of babies in Barbados all needing baby food and nappies, and as the Bajan people earn a considerably amount less than those in the UK, I assume they will be affordable, although it's not something I have studied.

Family orientated Restaurants in Holetown include Just Grilling ( nearest to your Hotel ) Surfside and Zaccios , which are on the beach behind Holetown Police Station ( opposite the Supermarket in West Mall ) Spago on 1st Street and probably a lot more provided you go early, but walk around Holetown, look, and just ask the question.

Have a great holiday and keep your baby well covered up and don't forget sunglasses for him/her if possible. You have no idea how many white children I see here with no eye protection while their parents sport designer sunglasses. The Sun is very, very powerful and bright here, and your child will need careful consideration especially on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
Zaccios
Zaccios
1,443 Reviews
Barbados
Avon
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

Thanks guys, taxi it is and thanks for all of the tips. Zaccios sounds amazing :)

Westiegal - noted re the sunglasses; the challenge will be ensuring she keeps them on her face. We're generally very sun aware and not so pale so have stocked up on baby protection, but thanks for the thought.

Cheers again!

Mentioned in this post
Zaccios
Zaccios
1,443 Reviews
Barbados
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

On very young children my experience has been that caps with tinted visors stay on their heads better than sunglasses which were invariably removed immediately!

Avon
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

Brilliant advice, many thanks - we have bought her some sunglasses but have no doubt that they will last for about 5 mins. Will look for a cap with a tinted visor :)

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

I have seen friends use these type with bands before, may stay on better ;o)

sun-togs.co.uk/baby/…sunglasses.html

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

We've been visiting barbados every year for the last 10 years, the last 4 with a baby/toddler/little boy. As someone else has suggested, it's best to take your own powder. Locals brands of nappies are reasonable whereas imported brands such as pampers are extremely expensive. It's your choice but if you have a preferable brand then it's better to take what you need. I remember the days of counting out the scoops of powder and number of nappies per day so we knew how much to pack. Just to add, each year, throughout the ages, we've had a superb time

London
Level Contributor
224 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

We travelled with our 10 month grandson in January. We took his own brand of baby milk powder as didn't want to use an alternative if it wasn't available. We took nappies and wipes too, they are easily available in the supermarkets but they were quite expensive compared to the UK.

We ate in all different types of restaurants with him for both lunch and dinner. We always fed him his dinner before we went out to eat in the evening as more often than not he would fall asleep before we reached the restaurant. The majority of restaurants had highchairs. He was made to feel very welcome everywhere we went.

Some things we found useful: An inflatable baby bath (similar to a paddling pool but much smaller) which we took to the beach and filled it with sea water and he would play with his toys for a short while in the shade. He did have a pair of sunglasses but rarely kept them on. He had some sun shade suits for the beach to keep him protected but we kept him out of the sun as he is very fair. Deet free mosquito patches which we stuck onto his buggy, mainly for the evening, and thankfully he didn't get bitten, and a sun and sleep stroller cover which was handy to keep the sun off him in the daytime.

He went on a sunset catamaran trip, and especially enjoyed the fish cakes. He went on a glass bottom boat and enjoyed watching his dad swim with the turtles. He enjoyed both the beach and the swimming pool. He enjoyed people talking to him and making a fuss of him. He enjoyed watching the birds. He had a fantastic holiday, as did we all.

Have a great holiday.

Avon
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities

Thank you for all the above advice, we found it really useful. Good to know the supermarkets were expensive upfront, we took our own milk (although ran out towards the end) and a few nappies to keep us going. We used Similac to cover us over, which we found gloopy, so our advice would be to take all milk beforehand. We loved the idea of deet free mosquito patches but didn't get around to getting any - great advice for future though.

For those reading this who might find our experience useful:

We found Barbados extremely baby friendly in most aspects. We hired a car for 4 days which was the perfect amount of time and used buses to get around thereafter. Initially we stuck with the government blue busses, but after a few days we realised that the yellow reggae buses worked better for us and were more fun. We took a car seat with adapters so we could wheel our little one around and the seat fits perfectly in the seat of the bus - we also found people to be unbelievably helpful, helping with the wheels a lot of the time (not an experience that is common where I live). Most restaurants had baby chairs and were happy to cook my food in such a way that I could give some to baby. Some of our favourites were, Zaccios, Surfside (relaxed, but you could be around smokers), The Beach House, Bar Carizma (live music Tues and Thurs eve - best cocktails we found), Café Moya (for brunch and great ice cream - Catherine Moya is lovely). No baby high chairs in the last two but you can work around this.

Our biggest challenge was finding natural shade for baby without getting those tacky sun loungers. We went to quite a few beaches on the island which was great, but our favourite was right by the Sunset Crest shopping area (when facing the main road go right for a few seconds and there is an opening - construction site behind it). The water is very calm due to the surrounding rocks so you can put baby in the shallows and there is some good shade before 4pm to the left of the beach. This is also a good area for snorkelling for those interested; if you like to keep within your depths there are some interesting rocks surrounded by fish to explore inside the surrounding rocks, for the best snorkelling - exit the sheltered bit of the sea and go left, you can see some good stuff including turtles. For those happy in water, if you venture further afield there is a wreck and this is where the majority of the turtles are. For safety, best to swim out when the catamarans come in to do snorkelling tours as there are people around if you get into difficulty. Save some energy for the swim back as the current can be strong.

We also found lots of lovely places on the island that were easy to explore with baby; Huntes gardens (although the lovely Mr Hunte did insist our 11mth old daughter get married there - he even found her a husband who was 2 days older), Flower Garden (you can explore with buggy), Harrisons cave (beautiful cave, tacky tourist tram but you can take baby on it easily). We also entered the Animal Flower Cave north of the island and swum in the water inside, just be careful carrying baby down the stairs and on the rocks once you are down there - seemed fine to us despite the 'descend at your own risk' warning.

Anyway, hope that is helpful for those who come across this post. Thank you again for the advice everyone :)

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Zaccios
Zaccios
1,443 Reviews
Barbados
Reply to: Travel from Barbados airport to Holetown and baby facilities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted