We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. James Resort Suites versus Tranquility Suites in Antigua

Which Bolans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Connecticut
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St. James Resort Suites versus Tranquility Suites in Antigua

HELP.....SO CONFUSED WHERE WE SHOULD STAY. Travelling to Antigua in April with family of 6, two teenage boys and two young girls. Found affordable private home on the water near Long Bay Beach or thinking of St. James Villas or Tranquility Villas? Heard so many great reviews on Jolly Beach. I like the proximity of market, shops, restaurants but don't mind a more remote, less touristy area. St. James beach is Galley Bay and Coco Beach which doesn't get the same reviews. The Compound on Long Bay looks cool but maybe too far from everything.

Can't decide....any help or other recommendations? THANKS

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. James Resort Suites versus Tranquility Suites in Antigua

If you've got teens and younger children, I'd say Tranquility Bay was a good option, not least because everything's within walking distance. It's also the starting point for many tours and excursions, which adds to the convenience. The beach is long and wide, and there are a number of other beautiful beaches in close proximity - with a local bus service linking them.

I think you may be a bit confused on the location of St James Villas, which are at St James Club at Mamora Bay (just beyond English Harbour. The villas are lovely, and the resort facilities are good for children, but you are looking at car or taxi to get anywhere beyond the resort.

Long Bay is beautiful, and I suspect I know where you're looking at (and it's lovely), but is much more remote. No stores, banks, pharmacy or anything else nearby, and a good ride into town for groceries etc. There are a couple of restaurants on Long Bay, but not a huge variety. You would definitely need a car for the whole time you were there.

Madison, Connecticut
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. James Resort Suites versus Tranquility Suites in Antigua

Thank you so much for your response. There are just so many lovely villas and views and nothing looks that far on a map. However, I do remember the roads being tricky and even though we plan to rent a car, it might not be that easy getting around. I just want my kids to experience the beauty of the island and not just be at a resort with all the amenities. Jolly Harbor sounds so convenient but busy but the beach sounds like its the one everyone prefers the most. I just found a villa with beautiful views near Falmouth Harbor. I remember loving that area, but that was 18 years ago. Perhaps I should just stick with all the amenities. Any worry that Tranquility will close or be under construction as I understand it was sold?

Thanks SOOOO much for the advice. The more you look around the more you see and all of the views and beaches are so beautiful that you are unsure where the best area to stay is.

Many thanks, Stacey

3. Re: St. James Resort Suites versus Tranquility Suites in Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 10:32
Get answers to your questions about Bolans