We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sell Barbuda on me?

Which Bolans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Sell Barbuda on me?

Hello! We have a trip booked in July to Antigua but haven't researched details on what exactly we want to do.

I see that the ferry to Barbuda will cost my family over $400. Is it worth going? If it is, then why? I would probably like to do it but I need to be able to justify it. I need to weigh costs of doing this vs. snorkeling excursion or possibly fishing excursion for hubby and son.

Does Barbuda have more beautiful beaches than Antigua?

Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sell Barbuda on me?

Way better beaches. !!!!!

www.antiguaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=20

http://www.barbudaful.net/

The ferry can be choppy though.

Regards

Mark

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sell Barbuda on me?

The beaches in Barbuda are like no other!! Miles of them...miles and miles!! It is definately worth the trip over. The water is so clear too. Hike the caves, visit the frigate bird colony and enjoy. You'll be back!!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sell Barbuda on me?

I have to agree - one of the world's best kept secrets is that some of the most spectacular beaches in the world can be found on Barbuda. As seasunjustright said - there are miles and miles of light pink and white sand beaches. The ones on the Caribbean side are lapped by crystal clear calm waters. And to top all that you'll be virtually alone.

To give you some idea of what they are like consider this - we were on one that stretched as far as the eye could see. We picked out a spot on the horizon and walked, and walked and walked - finally reaching the spot we had picked out perhaps 45 minutes earlier only to realize there was still miles upon miles of beach ahead of us. In all that time we encountered less than 8 other people.

And, yes, there are caves to explore, more beaches on the Atlantic side of the island and the Frigate Bird Sanctuary all combine to make for a very interesting day trip.

If you love beaches, you'll find those on Barbuda hard to beat. Don't go there though if you crave shopping, fine dining and lots of tourist type activities like parasailing, jet boat rides, and similar activities as they don't really exist on Barbuda.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sell Barbuda on me?

I'd agree that Barbuda has some of the most beautiful beaches anywhere, and is a great spot to visit.

However, for a family trip, especially with children or teens, I'd weigh it up carefully. I suspect you might get more for the same money from doing the Xtreme Circumnavigation (or another tour), unless you're on a longer vacation.

I'd always recommend flying over rather than taking the ferry.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sell Barbuda on me?

A 5th vote for going to Barbuda! The beach I spent the day on was breath-takingly beautiful...gin clear water and deserted except for the people who came off the excursion I was on. My husband and I considered the trip to Barbuda the BEST part of our holiday in Antigua.

Barbuda has the largest Frigate Bird Sanctuary on the planet. To my mind, why travel so far without going the extra distance to this unspoiled paradise? The lovely thing is that it's completely off the beaten track...one of the most pristine places left in the entire Caribbean.

Another vote would have to come from the fact that the late Princess Diana spent 4 holidays at the K Club (no longer in business) on Barbuda. In fact that stretch of beach has been renamed 'The Princess Diana Beach" as a tribute to her.

huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/28/princess-diana…

I think this is the trip we took and it was marvelous, worth every penny and then some.

antigua-island-hotels.com/Excellence_-_tour_…

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sell Barbuda on me?

thanks for this...

we are spending a fortnight in Antigua in July & I really want to go over to Barbuda...there are 7 of us...I was hoping it would not be too expensive in low season. uh oh.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sell Barbuda on me?

Megbel,

In this economy, I'd try to negotiate a group rate, especially if you have children in the group. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck and have a wonderful holiday!; ~>

8. Re: Sell Barbuda on me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:40
Get answers to your questions about Bolans