We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - What to do!?

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
JBR - What to do!?

Me and my boyfriend are going to JBR in June and would like to know a few things....

1. what is the best currency to use out in Antigua? EC Dollar or US Dollar?

2. Where can we book excursions and do they have boat trips? Prices if possible?

3. I've read a few reviews that recommend we should book into restaurants the moment we check in, is this true?

4. What is the best method in getting to the local town?

Any other advice you can give to ensure we have a brilliant time at JBR.

Thanks!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - What to do!?

You can use either currency - take a few US dollars if you already have them, or get some EC either over the counter at the bank or from the ATM. There are a couple of banks right next door in Jolly Harbour.

You can book tours at the hotel, or book direct with the operators for better prices. I recommend www.adventureantigua.com

You can make reservations for the speciality restaurants in advance, and this is worth doing if you want to try them. However, June shouldn't be too busy, which will make this less of a chore than it might seem.

The easiest and most fun way of getting into town is to use the local bus system. You can pick up a bus on the main road just outside the hotel which will take you to the West Bus Station at the end of Market Street. Just walk along Market Street into the main part of St Johns. There's no set timetable, but buses are frequent and very, very cheap!

Do get outside the resort a couple of times and see a bit of the island - even if you just take one of the water-based tours - the Xtreme Circumnavigation is a favourite, especially as it includes a stop at Stingray City, but if you want more of a booze cruise, one of the big Wadadli Cat trips would suit better. Jolly Harbour has shops, pharmacy, banks and good supermarket, as well as plenty of bars, restaurants and coffee shop.

Shirley Heights on a Sunday is well worth the effort - but don't come back too early - it's worth staying on for the local band after sunset.

Have fun :)

Sewell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - What to do!?

When my boyfriend and I went we did a Wadadli Cat trip. They picked us up on the beach right and we had a fantastic day. Had dolphins under our cat following us the entire way to our snorkeling trip. Also we went to Shirley Heights and stayed into the night and had the best time and met some new friends we still keep in contact with over the years. We were celebrating our anniversary so we booked a reservation at Sheer Rocks and I was so happy with the decision. Amazing food, service, and the view can not be described. You will not be disappointed. Also the one Al a cart was great too I completely forget the name but its on the beach. Try to get a reservation around sunset!

3. Re: JBR - What to do!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Bolans