We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

Im considering this resort in the future. Been reading alot of reviews that the resort is run down. Can anyone tell me just how run down this resort is? We are used to Riu, Beaches, Iberostar type of AI's. How does this resort compare? We can deal with small rooms, that is not a problem as we will spend little time in them anyway.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

I wouldn't say it was run down at all. Sure, it's not the newest resort, and some areas are a little tired, but the grounds are very well kept, the staff are fabulous and the beach is worth double what you pay for staying there.

If you're not happy with an allocated room, they can usually find an alternative, and the maids work so hard to keep the rooms spotless.

The 3 star rating is spot on IMO, but the beach is 5+

houston, texas
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

I am going tomorrow and will let you know.

All the resorts you have mentioned I have stayed too. I have also been to Grand Lido (runaway bay), Sandals (negril & mobay), Aura (cozumel), Majestic (punta cana)that are considered high end. Not sure that Beaches (negril) or Rui (nueva vallarta) are rated better then a 3, not from my experience.

Some of the best trips for me have been at the mediocre 3star AI, hedonism (negril) starfish (runaway bay) beaches (curacao). It was the staff, beach and location. Sounds like the JBR is going to be one of my favs from reading between the lines of the reviews.

This is my first trip to Antigua and I did tons of research...I was considering a condo since I just did that in Ambergis Caye and it was a perfect trip. But, this just seemed to be the way to go, the beach looks yummmmy at JBR.

I will update you when I get back in 11 days.....and don't mean to ramble, although sometimes the reviews are really not fair, my opinion :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
35 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

I'd share mizgeorge's view. We are going back for 3rd time later this year. The tropical weather takes an amazing toll on all properties. It is a little tired round the edges, but there is a world-wide recession going and and the JBR prices are good. the staff are fantastic, grounds are well-kept and the place is very central for getting out and about, with the little Jolly Harbour shops etc. The cleaners do a fantastic job - even when we've come back with sand in our towels, etc, there isn't a speck left when the maid's finish - they work extremely hard. Security here has also been extremely good on our last two visits.

Ontario
Level Contributor
98 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

We are going to Jolly Beach Resort in November, also our first trip to Antigua.

We are staying in a standard room and understand there are no coffee makers in the rooms. Is there somewhere we can get fresh coffee to bring back to our rooms before the buffet opens in the morning? We'll be bringing insulated mugs.

Can't wait to see the beach and explore Antigua!

Bedford, England
Level Contributor
170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

We're going in November too... let me know if you hear anything about the fresh coffee :)

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
477 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

We've just booked here for September, can't wait! Do the hotel provide bottled water does anyone know, please? Assume the tap water isn't safe to drink like it is in Barbados. Are there kettles in the room, does anyone know, please?

We were regulars at Almond Beach Village in Barbados but it closed earlier this year so we've been looking for somewhere else. Reading about JBR it sounds a bit like ABV so would be interested, please, if anyone has been to both to see what the comparison is like.

Thanks

W-D

Edited: 06 August 2012, 19:58
UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

The tap water is safe to drink. It can be a bit chlorine heavy though. I thoroughly recommend taking your own filter bottle (bobble/freshsip type) and using that to improve the taste.

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
477 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

Thank you, Mizgeorge, that's very helpful

W-D

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

Hey W-D,

I just booked for September as well. Which week will you be there at JBR?

10. Re: How run down is Jolly Beach Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bolans