We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas at Tranquility

Cambridge, On
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas at Tranquility

we are planning on staying for 7 days at Tranquility Bay on a time-share. We would like to get info on tour companies for: A)transportation from the airport, including picking up groceries on the way.B) day tours to points of interest. We always like to arrange things ahead of time as when we holiday we like to relax and venture out on short excursions. Are groceries/liquor/beer expensive?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas at Tranquility

Don't pre-book transfers from the airport - they're always very overpriced. The taxi dispatch system is extremely efficient and is fixed price at $US24 for up to four people travelling together. You may find you're sharing with others going to the same or a next-door resort, and this has no impact on the price.

I wouldn't worry about stopping for groceries on the way - the big supermarket (the Epicurean) is only a couple of minutes' walk away from TB.

You'll find food shopping slightly more expensive than at home (everything has to be imported), with some premium brands, particularly those from Europe, much more expensive. Alcohol is generally cheaper, however.

For day trips, I'd always recommend at least one water-based tour - and you're in a great spot as Jolly Harbour is the start point for many of these. If you don't want a whole day trip, the Creole Cruises Lobster Lunch cruise is a good bet. Otherwise for a full day you have the choice of the more informative, smaller boats like Adventure Antigua eco-tour or Xtreme circumnavigation, or one of the big boat catamaran cruises like Wadadli Cats or Treasure Island, which are a bit more of a booze cruise, but still lots of fun.

On land, you could arrange a private taxi tour, either with one of the drivers at the resort, or with one of the local operators - I recommend either Sean at Antigua VIP Safaris or Lennox Scotland of Lennox Fun Tours. Both will happily collect you from Tranquility and tailor your tour to suit you in terms of historical/beach/food or whatever else you'd like to do.

For short trips out, you can use the local bus service, which is very cheap and fun. Heading north, it will take you into St Johns if you want to shop or sightsee, or going south, you can stop at a number of fabulous beaches that run down the west coast, most of which have bars/restaurants on them.

Alternatively, hire a car for a day or two and self guide. Driving, although on the left, isn't terribly challenging (it's a small island) and you can take your time and explore exactly what you'd like to.

In terms of sights, the don't miss is probably spending some time down at English Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard, and if you're there over a Sunday, the jump up at Shirley Heights on a Sunday afternoon/evening is a lot of fun.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas at Tranquility

Miz George is right on point. Just to reiterate what she said:

a. Transport - Can easily be done from the airport, which has a very efficient taxi system. There isn't much of a need to stop for groceries, as the Epicurean supermarket is just a few minutes walk from Tranquility Bay.

b. Day tours - Miz George knows better, but I'd say to just take a spin on the bus and take a visit to Turners Beach/Ffryes/Darkwood/Valley Church, all within about 5 minutes drive or so from Jolly Beach (where Tranquility Bay is of course), all with bars/restaurants with decent priced food and drinks. Bus fare is only 1 US (or about $2.50 EC if you have local currency) There's also Morris Bay, and even Carlisle Bay if you can find the public access road (it's a bit "hidden" from view).

c. The expense of food and groceries varies. The internationally imported stuff (e.g. from the US, UK) will be far more expensive here than at home, sometimes up to 3x. The local/regional products will be a fair bit cheaper, so a good selection will make a big difference in price. There are, of course, bigger supermarkets with a wider range of foods (e.g. First Choice and Epicurean at Friars Hill Road) which would make it easier to save money, but the fare there would not justify the savings.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas at Tranquility

Clarification - I meant to say that "Miz George knows the day trips better than I do".

Cambridge, On
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas at Tranquility

thank you for your wealth of information. How do I contact either one of the tour companies? I can't find a website for them. We like to prebook our tours

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas at Tranquility

Some links:

http://www.adventureantigua.com/

http://www.creolecruisesantigua.com/

http://www.wadadlicats.com/

antiguavipsafaritours.vpweb.com/default.html

lennoxfuntours@hotmail.com

6. Re: Christmas at Tranquility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bolans