We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Old Questions regarding Jolly Beach.

Which Bolans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
297 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
The Old Questions regarding Jolly Beach.

Its a big birthday for me next year so we are hopefully going to be lucky enough to have 2 holidays.

Years ago maybe 10+ we went to the Jolly Beach. I have never in all my life relaxed like I did on any other holiday, my husband loved it too.

Now I know it isn't a 5* hotel. When we went it was 3* at best but that was its charm. The people though quiet at first, warmed to you if you had a nice word and a smile.

The resort though a little shabby was still lovely and we enjoyed ourselves so much.

Every year we say we would like to go back and every year the reviews seem to differ. Mostly on the deterioration of the resort but yet some people still rave about it.

So next year we thought maybe going back in September and seeing for ourselves. However, as its a special year for me I don't really want to be upset on holiday.

So could I ask please, especially to recent visitors. Is the Resort now as bad as some people review.

Do they run out of food and drink. Are the chairs around the pool that awful ?

Is the resort up for Sale and they are just running it down.... as some people have said.

Thank you for any information.

Jolly Beach has a special place in our hearts and we would so love to go back, but if it is as bad as some reviewers have said.... it does worry me.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Tracy.

england
Level Contributor
218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Old Questions regarding Jolly Beach.

We went 19 years ago when it was called Club Antigua, best thing about it was the beach.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Old Questions regarding Jolly Beach.

I was there last year, and below is my opinion of the place - posted here on Trip Advisor. We (my boyfriend and I) had a lovely trip, but do not expect a 5 star stay though...

Jolly Beach hotel is a nice 3+ star hotel. We had a standard room. They are small, but functional. You don’t spend much time indoors, so no need for bigger or more fancy. Nightstands and “desk” are painted concrete. Not the most fashionable, but again – functional. Ok bathroom size with shower (lovely high water pressure) and a sink. Towels are changed every day, and cleaning is impeccable! Once in a while the room gets sprayed down for bugs. (No bug problem) No damp smell from the room either. The bed – big king size – is rather hard though.. Makes you get up in the morning for sure..

There are four restaurants in addition to the buffet. The Indian – Utsav – is by far the best in my opinion. The Italian is ok, but has rather bland food. We haven’t tried the Seafood Restaurant yet (we’re still here). The Grill by the main pool isn’t specially inviting but has very good and tasty burgers and fried chicken! The buffet is surprisingly good compared to other buffet restaurants we have tried in the Caribbean. Not too much to choose from, but tasty! The buffet restaurant and the grill have, however, a serious bird problem. Or, gull problem! It’s quite normal to have smaller birds around the tables dining outside, but here you can’t leave your plate for a second! I turned from my plate to find my camera in my bag on the floor behind me, and WHOA – my chicken was gone! No less than five gulls attacked my plate in seconds. Disgusting! And quite intimidating…

BUT – the beach. THE BEACH! The hotel is located on the most marvelous, white, sandy beach you can think of! And about 5-600 meters of it belongs to this hotel only. The two pools are lovely, but we still have left to spend time there. We live by the beach! And it goes on for well over a kilometer. Pure turquoise Caribbean water! WOW! There are two bigger bars on the premises. One of them is situated on the lawn between the hotel and the beach. It has the most stunning view I have ever experienced from a bar stool. (The drinks are lovely too!)

There is no wi-fi access in the rooms but there are plenty of sofas in the reception area and tables outside in the courtyard where you can access the wi-fi. It’s kind of stable most of the time. There are daily activities by the main pool, and the watersports are plenty. Snorkelling isn’t great close to shore because of the fine sand here. A pity. But the fishing is great! My boyfriend got a 10-15kg tarpun at the far end of the beach. He is flyfishing and the area is great for catching all sorts of swimming beasts. We even spotted a small nurse shark close to one of the beaches not far from here.

The Jolly Beach Hotel is great for a 2 weeks stay. Don’t expect much luxury, fine dining or 5 star entertainment. You won’t find it here. You will, however, find a fantastic, gorgeous beach, great staff who does the most out of what they have and can do, clean rooms, great location and an interesting island to explore if you rent a car! I would definately come back!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room be sure to book one in the most southern block or the most northern block...

Save Reply
3. Re: The Old Questions regarding Jolly Beach.

Great review coming in 6weeks and counting what are names of quiet blocks please

Indiana, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Old Questions regarding Jolly Beach.

I stayed at Jolly Beach Resort in March 2006 and again in March 2013. My philosophy on finding a vacation destination is to choose the older resorts as they are often on the best beach! Just yesterday, I booked my third trip to Jolly Beach Resort. I love the beach. The hotel is fine, rooms are small, but the majority of my week will be on the gorgeous beach. I have visited severl different islands, but Antigua keeps pulling me back!

5. Re: The Old Questions regarding Jolly Beach.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Bolans