We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much is wine at local store

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
how much is wine at local store

hi, just wondering what a bottle of wine cost at the local store close to jolly beach resort? trying to decide if we should bring our own bottles or will they be cheaper to purchase there? also the price on rum and beer would help as well.

thanks so much

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much is wine at local store

All cheaper than Canada apart from beer but not by much. By all your booze here at the supermarket in Jolly Harbour.

Regards

Mark.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much is wine at local store

That's true. We went to the Jolly Harbour grocery store a lot and I noticed how much cheaper it was than at home - and good owner too!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much is wine at local store

Here are some precise prices from Epicurean in CAD: all converted from EC @ 2.43, grand total including taxes:

$25.44 Smirnoff Vodka 1.75L; $15.74 Beefeater Gin 1L; $1.95 Dos Equis amber bottle; $1.85 Wadadli Gold can; $5.92 nice Carmenere from Chile (can't remember label). Frankly, my rule of thumb is that beer is cheaper, wine is a lot cheaper and the hard stuff is half the price it is in Canada. Don't bother with duty free (it may be duty-free but it is not profit-free), buy it at the store in Antigua and take it home. Cheers!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much is wine at local store

thanks so much!!

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much is wine at local store

You'll get wine from $6 US all the way up to $100 US. Alcohol is one of the few imports that are generally cheaper in Antigua than US/Canada/UK because of the lack of "sin tax" that other countries place on goods such as alcohol and cigarettes which Antigua doesn't.

sussex
Level Contributor
479 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much is wine at local store

Yes agree,was very surprised how cheap wine was at Jolly Harbour,much cheaper than in England! So we drank too much!!!

Alton, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much is wine at local store

Thanks for asking the question - and thanks for all the answers!

I'm self catering later this month and was thinking of popping a wine box in the suitcase (wine was quite pricey when we were in the BVI's a few years ago) but looks like the tax makes a big difference here:-)

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much is wine at local store

Litre bottles of Smirnoff were £9 at the duty free shops at St John's 😃

Michigan
Level Contributor
188 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much is wine at local store

We always pack a box of wine in our suitcase just for back-up!

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much is wine at local store

Just want to say thanks folks for all ur gt posts, esp sunloversussex. We leave uk 4 wks today and will spend 2 wks in Jolly harbour in February at the end of our hols. I read all the tips from this past yr and I cant tell u how excited we r. Excellent work all u Trip Advisors!

Get answers to your questions about Bolans