We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best currency for brits

Which Saint Philip hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
jersey channel...
Level Contributor
184 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
best currency for brits

can anybody advise on best currency to take ie sterling us dollars or ecds? how should i manage currency most economically for tips shopping restaurants etc any help appreciated thanks picky

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best currency for brits

Sterling into EC$, unless you have a stash of US$ left over from a holiday. Maybe buy some EC before leaving, enough to tide you over for a few days, and change the rest in Antigua where you def. get a better exchange rate. There is a small bank at the airport on exiting customs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best currency for brits

Agree with ajnspeak. Sterling is the way to go otherwise you will lose money by changing twice, once into USDs and then into ECDs. Although USDs are widely accepted, you are best to pay in ECDs, that way you won't be short changed.

Edited: 26 March 2010, 15:50
jersey channel...
Level Contributor
184 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best currency for brits

thanks ajnspeak and once again lingua !! i think i will have to take you with us in case of any unforseen problems!! is the exchange rate good at beach club? what your advice on tipping? thanks again picky

London, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best currency for brits

Exchanging your money at any hotel, you will get a slightly lower exchange rate than at the bank, but you will still be better off changing your £s into ECDs in Antigua rather than at home.

Tipping is really down to you, we normally tip at the end of our stay, but you can do it as you go along if you prefer. We normally tip the waiting staff individually, those who gave us good service, the same goes for maids, as some are better than others. Hotel staff don't make much money, so it is always much appreciated.

Wish we could be there with you! Have a great time :))

Edited: 26 March 2010, 20:27
Staffordshire
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best currency for brits

Thankyou for advice on travelling to Antigua and the best currency for Brits.

As we are holidaying at Verandah Resort which I gather is quite isolated, what advice would you give for exchanging sterling. We intend to take a small amount of EC$, can you suggest how much. (For tips and to last at least a few days.) ??? I have read a post about the bank in the airport, but not sure what time we will arrive as I do not know the time difference to the UK. Where is the nearest bank to Verandah Resort and what is the best way to travel to it???

Does anyone know what is the exchange rate in a bank or Hotel is when exchanging sterling???

Many thanks. Annie

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best currency for brits

The US$ v EC$ rate is fixed. The £ v EC$ rate fluctuates. You will always get more EC$s for your £s in a bank than in a hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best currency for brits

Oh, and the time difference is 4 hours during GMT (end of October to end of March), and 5 hours during BST (end of March to end of October).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best currency for brits

Last time I checked it was EC$4.06 per £1, but as I said earlier it goes up and down.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best currency for brits

You definitely get a better rate in Antigua.

Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best currency for brits

Will the Bureau de Change in the airport in Antigua allow me to take currency out against a British debit card, or should I take sterling with me? Also, we're travelling with Virgin to the Verandah Resort. Will there be enough time to change currency at the airport before being herded onto a waiting bus? Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Saint Philip