We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommending a driver for the island!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Recommending a driver for the island!

Alex Browne - he lives in Willikies (sp? - sorry) and we were referred his name by our tour rep at the Grand Pineapple. He supassed our hopes. He has a crisp clean bus, air conditioned (normally not my thing as I like to stick my head out the window a la dog and take in the smells and sounds but with two children). Alex was friendly, educated, easy going but still professional and he really enjoys sharing the beauty of the island. I will post the details from his card because his price was also excellent and he enjoyed showing us around to the point where he was goign to take us on a longer trek to make sure all was included even though he knew I had limited cash available. Just because that is the kind of fellow he is. I strongly recommend you ask either Bev the Air Canada rep or the front desk to have him either take you on some trips or even just get you into town, as he also shuttled us to the airport. It was bitter sweet for us as my son - who had been crying for 20 minutes prior because we were leaving, lit up and cried - ALEX when he appeared but then my son was that much more devastated when we left....a wonderful island with wonderful people and wonderful Alex at the wonderful GPB!

Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

Could you please send me detail on how get a hold of him.I could get him to pick us up at the airport and I would like to use him for a tour of the island. We are leaving in two weeks.Thank You!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

I absolutely will - I have to track down his card and will respond quickly. He was great and I hope you enjoy his tour as much as we did!! Soon I will respond again with details!

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

Taxi driver's in ANU have some interesting "turf" rules. We've used Alex many times ... but not for an airport pickup. He's based in Willikies and there is no problem with him taking you to the airport. However, there's a question in my mind as to whether or not he can pick you up when you arrive. Maybe Cessnapilot would know?

Cheers,

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

Hi there!

Well here are some details in case you want to check it out with him. I can see what you are saying Terry-Fallston...he may also have been supporting his friend Bev the AC rep in running us to the airport as we did not have him pick us up...regardless it is worth a call....or email - let him know the crazy woman with two kids DID write about him on the internet and because he was so fantastic it is GREAT stuff...he is great!

Here we go...Alex Browne 720-2269 or 770-7919 (no clue what the area code is - I know those with much greater knowledge and / or who live there can fill in my gap)

email - brownealex@yahoo.com

Best Wishes!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

Ahhh I also see the previous point more clearly now....my husband has indicated there are similar turf issues here too....regular taxi cabs can't hang about making themselves available but they can get you TO the airport or such.

thanks Terry-Fallston_MD

UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

Hi Caribheart

I have contacted Alex directly and he has been very helpful! We're looking at doing the full island tour split over 2 mornings to maintain the attention of our 2 children!

The price is very good compared to the trips on offer from Virgin but I wanted to check whether the entrance fees to the various places -Shirley Heights, Sugar Plantation etc were included or if this was additional?

Thanks for all the information!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

Good grief - sorry for the delay....have you come and gone - I am so sorry!

If you haven't come adn gone then I will say the entrance fees were not included....but he is a well connected man so they held the movie at Shirley Heights for him thus for us....lovely.

Enjoy or I hope you did!

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

Would you mind sharing what the approx cost is for a full-day tour? We may be interested in booking a tour vs hiring a car, thanks!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

Gosh it has been a while now...I believe it was $40 per person for a half day - but I will be honest with you - it ended up being much longer than a half day - because we so enjoyed ourselves and took our time and enjoyed the beautiful island and Alex's wonderful wonderful company....in fact he suggested more places to go to add to our trip....but we had some sleepy potentially very fussy and hungry little people so we asked to g home....it was 2pm - not saying that you should abuse this man by asking for half day - good grief I feel like that is what I was suggesting....sorry.

Just to add to what a wonderful tour guide he was - so thorough and knowledgeable and generous!!

Enjoy!!!

england
Level Contributor
116 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommending a driver for the island!

Hi

Can you tell me how much it cost you to have a tour of the island with Alex? we are going to GPB next week and would like to use him

Mant thanks

Get answers to your questions about Saint Philips