We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

All, just a heads up. Whilst staying at GPB a local man (aged mid 20's) was approaching holidaymakers asking for cash sponsorship money. He produced a not very convincing piece of paper stating he was collecting money for football equipment for a local school ....the school was called Green something.

His story was that this school were coming to the UK in 3 weeks to play teams from West Ham and Tottenham.

I did not believe him and have posted this on some football forums. The concensus is that it is a scam.

I cannot prove this absolutely and am not accusing the guy of scamming, I am just alerting all you guys on the beach.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

You are quite right it is a scam and he has been cheating tourist out of their hard earner cash for a long time. He usually works the Dickenson Bay area, but a lot of people have cottoned on to him and possibly moved him on to fresh pastures. Do not fall for this guy's story.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

It's a huge scam. Dating back to 2008.

www.antiguaforums.com/viewtopic.php…

Regards

Mark

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

Thanks photoman....I really didn't want to accuse someone tryingto do good. The individual involved was odious and with an underlying aggressive nature.

I am glad I gave him a few choice words!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

Yep he was on the beach at Coconut Beach Club too- said hotel allowed him to canvass guests because we clean the beach up'. Well we thought the hotel workers did that so politely declined. He then watched me go for a walk, went back to my other half and suggested that 'now she's gone do you wanna go get your cash ?' He got a smart answer.

Edited: 28 November 2011, 19:27
Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

I was approached by a similar person recently on Jolly Beach.

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

Just remembered that the guy who spoke to me also mentioned about doing good deeds such as cleaning up the beaches etc.

I didn't like the fact that he tragetted the more mature holidaymaker.

Antigua
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

in 1998 I worked at the BBR sports complex and Tola would do it there too. He was a teen then and slightly more believable.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

We were approached on Long Bay too and also in st Johns by the same man!! We declined and he was quite aggressive. He said to us " it's alright for you rich people staying here and enjoying our country but it's time you gave something back by supporting these young people to play football". We did not believe a word he was saying. I think it's the same man who approached us two years previously and he was asking us to buy counterfeit CDs too. When we were saying at GPB the word spread amongst the holiday makers so not to fall for the scam

Antigua
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

365antigua.com/cms/content/community-alert-f… This guy right?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Bay beach local asking for sponsorship money

Not sure if he was him - he had a very slight build but harder features I think - he was doing OK with some American visitors and was seen in an exchange with hotel staff but which or may not have given some credence to his case. But the piece of paper he showed us was just a handwritten page from a notepad.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Philips