We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get there???

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
how to get there???

Hello,

I am visiting south africa in June. I was wondering what are the options available if I want to visit sossusvlei from jo'burg?

also i want to visit the okavango...is it better to go from jo'burg to okavango and then sossusvlei or vice versa?

Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get there???

How much time and money do you have?

You can fly via Windhoek, or bus from Cape Town. Then hire a car. Or hire a car the whole way.

It's a long way to go just for a day at the Dunes.

To get to the Delta, you fly to Maun, and take a light aircraft flight to your camp, or arrange a camping trip . You could then fly from Maun to WDH, and then car to the dunes.

You are looking at minimum of 5 days and £1000, I would think.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get there???

If you're in Windhoek and wanted to leave the driving to others, you could do the Sossusvlei Shuttle (see: http://www.namib-naukluft-lodge.com/shuttle.pdf). It's a decent value. More information at: namibian.org/travel/…sossusvlei.html

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get there???

Hi,

I have not booked my flights yet. So I am flexible. I am flying from the uk, and therefore could fly into either botswana or namibia (and then fly home from south africa). I have approximately 1 week to do both Sossusvlei & okavango. there are going to be 2 of us travelling.

I like the idea of hiring a car, but is it 1) safe? b) going to take up alot of valuable time?

are flights easy to get from Windhoek to Maun/Jo burg?

how far is it to sossuvlei from windhoek?

Thanks again

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get there???

We always self drive on our trips and I've always wanted to visit the Okavango. Main reason I've never been has been because of the apparent difficulties associated with driving. I'd love to hear from anyone who's driven around the Okavango, as it must be a wonderful place.

The best we've managed is the Okavango Pan Handle which can be accessed from Namibia through the Caprivi Strip. But, if you're driving and also want to see Sossusvlei, you'll spend a very great deal of your week in the car. Although the roads in Namibia are very good, it's a huge place.

If driving, it might be better to try one or other of your preferred destinations and then visit the areas around one of them?

Good luck, would be great to hear how you get on with your plans.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get there???

I don't think there are any direct flights from the UK to Namibia or Botswana, although Air Namibia used to fly twice a week Gatwick-Windhoek.

You could fly from Frankfurt with Air Namibia or Lufthansa, or via Jo'burg - the main hub for Southern Africa.

Several flights fly from Jo'burg to Maun , eg Air Botswana. The problem is knowing the timings of your delta trip and getting a connecting flight. That's why most people just give the problem to an agent. It shouldn't cost any more than do it yourself, and these guys do it every day for a living.

Sossussvlei is about 5 hours drive from Windhoek. I don't think its feasible to drive there and the delta in a week. It's safe, but too far, unless you pay huge one-way rental fees.

It's similar to trying to see the Outer Hebrides and the Alps.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get there???

To clarify - you can fly from London to Windhoek via Jo'burg (BA and SAA)

7. Re: how to get there???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 05:17